News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

3rd Spring Kendama Battle for Prague

Started by jakub.zahumensky, 15 April, 2016, 08:50:36

Previous topic - Next topic

jakub.zahumensky

oesterzilla

aaaahh come on.
you're giving the spacewalking, swirling, fingertricking guys a chance again?
just asking because of the 7 to spike at the finals just like in winter.
:P

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: oesterzilla on 15 April, 2016, 23:15:02
aaaahh come on.
you're giving the spacewalking, swirling, fingertricking guys a chance again?
just asking because of the 7 to spike at the finals just like in winter.
:P

I found this format the most engaging for everyone up till now, so yeah, the format stays until somebody gives me a better idea :) Don't get me wrong, I find long spacewalking finger-wrapping, swirling and twirling boring*, but that's why we have 3 judges :)

* - and I also kinda feel that those are not actually kendama tricks up till the missed spike/airplane attempt and here's why: Take away the cups and you can do all of it just as well, Take away the ken altogether and replace it with another tama and you can still do all/most of it. But that's just my personal frustration with the way kendama is going in the "freestyle" mode. But you know, if it makes fun...

The Void

Quote from: jakub.zahumensky on 16 April, 2016, 08:33:02* - and I also kinda feel that those are not actually kendama tricks up till the missed spike/airplane attempt and here's why: Take away the cups and you can do all of it just as well, Take away the ken altogether and replace it with another tama and you can still do all/most of it. But that's just my personal frustration with the way kendama is going in the "freestyle" mode. But you know, if it makes fun...
We are very much on the same wavelength. :) That's why I like keeping freestyle and precision in separate categories.
I read the review's description of your new format, and I don't quite get it. Well, hey, ....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 16 April, 2016, 12:40:41
Quote from: jakub.zahumensky on 16 April, 2016, 08:33:02* - and I also kinda feel that those are not actually kendama tricks up till the missed spike/airplane attempt and here's why: Take away the cups and you can do all of it just as well, Take away the ken altogether and replace it with another tama and you can still do all/most of it. But that's just my personal frustration with the way kendama is going in the "freestyle" mode. But you know, if it makes fun...
We are very much on the same wavelength. :) That's why I like keeping freestyle and precision in separate categories.
I read the review's description of your new format, and I don't quite get it. Well, hey, ....

I am glad we agree :)

Format:
1. Player divide into Advanced and Beginner, then they are randomly assigned to groups, so that the groups have 4-5 players.
2. Game of KEN in groups - you'll get points based on how well you do within your group: beginners 1-5 points, advanced 6-10 points - winner gets the most points.
3. Each player takes ca. 25 score cards and writes their name and points they earned in the group on each card - score cards looks like this:

4. Hour and a half of free ken games 1 on 1 - two tries on each letter. When you get a letter, you give the other person one of your score cards and vice versa. Advanced and beginners may play against each other as well.
5. Everybody counts the points from the score cards they won + their own (once). Best 7 advanced and 5 beginner players go to the finals.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finals - 7-to-spike (separate for beginners and advanced):
- starting king of the hill - player with most points in his category
- regular rules, one rebound, three judges

- I hope this clarifies things for you :) If not, just ask.

The Void

Thanks for taking the time to type the long explanation. I understand the mechanics of it now. My "well, hey..." was my shorthand for something like "Well, it's not my competition, and I wasn't there, and I guess you can't really judge a competition without seeing it in action, so I guess I'll reserve judgement."  :)
What happens if you get a 26th letter?
My only worry would be that the free choice of tricks set in KEN games might mean that the Voidolovinas and the Bubenikolovinas and the Dimenswirlolovinas and the Jorisolovinas leave opponents thinking "oh, hell, I have no idea of what he just did - how on earth am I meant to copy that?". But I guess it all evens out in the end. And like I say, I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Anyway, back on topic.... have a great battle!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Perhaps slightly relevant to Oesterzilla's point, I wrote this in the BKO 7ToSpike rules: "Any kendama is allowed for 7-To-Spike, but judges will know that sticky or large kendamas are easier to use...." It was meant as a reminder to me to remind the judges to consider these things.

I once found myself struggling to judge between 2 competitors, both had done skillful trick combos. I couldn't decide. So I considered the merits of the kendamas used, and that made my decision suddenly much easier.

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 16 April, 2016, 13:09:48
Thanks for taking the time to type the long explanation. I understand the mechanics of it now. My "well, hey..." was my shorthand for something like "Well, it's not my competition, and I wasn't there, and I guess you can't really judge a competition without seeing it in action, so I guess I'll reserve judgement."  :)
What happens if you get a 26th letter?
My only worry would be that the free choice of tricks set in KEN games might mean that the Voidolovinas and the Bubenikolovinas and the Dimenswirlolovinas and the Jorisolovinas leave opponents thinking "oh, hell, I have no idea of what he just did - how on earth am I meant to copy that?". But I guess it all evens out in the end. And like I say, I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Anyway, back on topic.... have a great battle!

Each battle has only three words - KEN - when one of the players gets to KEN, the game is over and the players go find somebody else to play against. And of course, the weird and crazy tricks are allowed and what you described happens. But, I see these KEN games also as a great opportunity to see the tricks others do and maybe get inspired. But combos that are too long should be avoided. It should be about: "How did he do that?" and not "What the hell did he just do, I don't even remember..."

Also, what you said about 7-to-spike has a good point, will keep it in mind at the battle and maybe I'll use it in case of a draw (which happened a couple of times) and I will have the final word. I am not judging myself, just trying to comment and write down the points. Speaking of which - I think it's good to have one extra person counting the points, so the judges can follow the players without having to switch their attention to the paper and back.

The explanation is already typed in the event description on FB, I just edited it a bit for you :)

And back on topic - THANKS! :)