News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Quote from: shalafiWoo, VERY impressive. Did you approved the freestyle tricks yourself? :)
Well, a couple of cats were wandering through the garden, but otherwise I was the only one there to ask. I picked one that's medium-hard and semi-original to me, and another one that's definitely "hard enough" and completely original to me. I'll have to ask Cima if he thinks they're okay, or ask for some other examples of what people have passed with.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

The cats may have some interesting criteria :)

Hard enough and completely original sounds really nice, I hope to see it on video after you get certified :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

LarsVegas

... landed my first "around the cosmos". I can do "slip on stick" fairly well, but throwing the tama from that first catch position and to spike it then is still difficult.
And I'm getting further along with birds. Since I started to hold the ken with the big cup towards me, it's much easier. Caught two of about 40 tonight :)
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Well done Lars. I find that first transfer to spike in 'Cosmos much easier if I catch the ball with the hole NOT flat on the side of the spike. You have to be softer on the landing to stop it rolling off, but it's much easier to control the transfer like that.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

I agree with Void, I do it in a similar way to around the village and it is waaay easier
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 23 August, 2013, 11:47:32
Well done Lars. I find that first transfer to spike in 'Cosmos much easier if I catch the ball with the hole NOT flat on the side of the spike. You have to be softer on the landing to stop it rolling off, but it's much easier to control the transfer like that.

Void and Raul,

thanks for the hint. I'll try that - so far I always tried to catch it with the hole on the ken, just like for "Slip on stick".

... ah the sweet way to 1st Dan :)
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

PikWik

thanks for the tips you guys! tbh, i didnt realize i was doing around the cosmos until i read your post. well, everything except the spin from the slip stall. i was attempting them with the hole on the ken as well but will try this new method soon. the "around the's" are my warmup when i pick up a dama and notice they help get the tama and cups grippier

hopefully in a years time ill get a tunbridge wells

Dimensions

I haven't been able to practice kendama for a few days as I am sat here ill
But I just rememberd a few weeks ago I was trying horizontal swirls[nb]lets just call it HS[/nb], I did a HS then instead of standing still I walked around it while it was spinning around my finger caught the ken then caught the tama on the big cup - I then missed the spike!
Also that day I did a double swirl and then caught the tama from behind my back, I can get them quite consistently now - and it is my new faourite trick
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

Nice idea, Dimensions.
Today I got my best score of 2-Turn Lighthouse: 6/10.

Waylon

I've been playing more kendama lately than yoyoing. Can't get enough. Got my first lunar last week and landed some lighthouse somersaults over the weekend. The first one was in the living room with my family. No one was watching. I started celebrating and I think they thought I'd lost my mind for a minute. I'm surprised they aren't used to me doing my "I just landed a hard skill toy trick" end zone dance by now.

Dimensions

Today I just caught a slip grip special - got so excited when I did it!!!

br4d24

Got my first lunar flip a while ago! Nearly have stilt down as well!

PikWik

@Waylon - Nice job on the lunar! when i first got one it was so random and not expected i just sat there holding the tama in disbelief; looking at every side making sure i wasnt touching with my hand/string. that trick was something i didnt think was going to happen for a while but now i can get em fairly consistent.

these lunar and tre flips are what im after next! such a tough trick... ugh, so many new tricks to learn  :o

Dimensions

Yesterday I was practicing speed trick B - I normally get it in about 4 or 5 minutes (I normally struggle a lot on around Europe and even more on the 1 turn areoplane) but yesterday I got around Europe on my 2nd go and 1 turn areoplane strait away! My final tim was 2:04 minutes, yes it's not that great but it is my PB
Also I got a bit bored of practicing my pre dan ladder so I for a laugh I tried the 1st dan ladder and for the first time ever I got all of the tricks but then I started moshikame and I did 195 clicks I was really annoyed that I was 5 clicks away - never mind

the milky oolong

... practised for two hours after work, landed some really fun stuff: Big Cup Flip to Lighthouse > Lighthouse Somersault > 540 Flip to In. Also worked out a weird inverted Falling Down variation where the spike is caught as if Penguin style. My kingdom for a camera and some editing software!

Had to let you guys know, thanks for all the motivational enthusiasm,

M-Oo.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate