News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Favourite Kendama?

Started by Thorny, 20 August, 2011, 11:29:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorny

What is your preferred model of kendama to bust out tricks/feels nicest in your hand?

I know it's a difficult question because they all feel so different but in theory it should spark some discussion!

For me, I'd have to say Mugen or Oozora - probably the latter. Solely because I've landed all of my hardest tricks on an Oozora (bar one, which was on the Mugen).

Anybody agree or have any different views?

The Void

I've only been playing for 4 or so years seriously. I feel it's too early to say.  :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

Is that because you feel that you haven't seen enough models come and (or at least rather) go out of production for you to say?

AlexSmith

Woodgrain shin Fuji alll thee wayy

;D

Thorny

Harry's been wanting to get a grain Shin Fuji for some time. I think you might've just made him want one even more so now haha

I'm growing very fond of my yellow Oozora. It's rapidly becoming one of my favourites although I think my actual favourite kendama of all time would be the green oozora.

The Void

Quote from: Thorny on 22 August, 2011, 21:54:19Is that because you feel that you haven't seen enough models come and (or at least rather) go out of production for you to say?

No, it's because I feel it's very difficult to make a fair assessment. Should I compare my Mugen that I played with when just starting out on the harder tricks, and haven't used now for 2 years, with my Sunrise that I've just got out of the packet, and am using now I'm at 3rd Dan skill/experience level?

The only rational way of comparing KDs is to have a selection of new ones, and line them up. Then try trick A 10 times with each of them. Repeat for trick B, trick C, trick D etc. Repeat the whole exercise weekly, noting the differences as the kendamas wear in with age/use. After several months, you might start to get a fair idea of which is *really* your favourite kendama. Personally, I don't have the patience, nor the spare cash to spend on a batch of new KDs *solely for this purpose*, nor the time to carry out the test.

Then of course, you should probably have 3 or 4 of each model, to even out any variation you may get in the natural density differences between different pieces of wood.

Then again, I recognise that the question is worded as "which is your favourite kendama?", and 'favourite' does not necessarily imply a sound empirical judgement. So..... erm, well, thinking about it......  I still don't think I've got one!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BatDancer

I've got a plain wood oozara and an orange sunrise. The sunrise is my favourite as I find it easier to play with, and I can land tricks like lighthouse on it, which I've never managed on the oozara.

GbH

I'd say it was mostly just the kendama that I use on a regular basis that I like the best.  That is, the one that I'm most tuned in to, rather that whether it's somehow 'better' in some physical or aesthetic way.  For a long time, I had a couple of Mugens that fulfilled this role.  Because of the silly price situation with these, I now seem happy enough using SunRise 2 models instead.

Somewhat unexpectedly, Arthur still seems to be enjoying the G-Ken...   :)