News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

Yeah, almost there Void! I think this year at EKO it will finally fall. You really deserve it.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Jkriner987

Today I landed my first 1-turn lighthouse!! It isn't as hard as I thought actually

BKA

Well done. Some find it easier than 1-Turn Aeroplane. Similar level, though.

LarsVegas

... I did several one-turn swing ins. Not as difficult as I thought
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Quote from: LarsVegas on 28 April, 2015, 21:59:34... I did several one-turn swing ins. Not as difficult as I thought
"Swing In" is a 1-Turn trick. Presumably you mean 2-Turn. Nice. I had a quick try at those when I was in the JKA office on Sunday. There was a young lad there that has done 3-Turn Swing In.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

donald grant

Thought I might give the 2 turn swing in a go.  Got it after a dozen or so tries, so thought, why not give reverse 2 turn swing in a go.

Acually turned out to be easier, especially as you get a better view of the hole on rotation.

So then went for reverse 2 turn to small bird. And after a few goes, it was on (and in!)

Productive little 5 minutes, cheers for the inspiration, chaps!

shalafi

I find reverse swing to big bird to be easier than to the small one.
Well done Donald!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

KenSan

Today I...Got my BKA membership card and stickers :)
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

kayadama

Congrats! Think i will sign up next week also.

Had managed to learn juggle to spike on my pill and also learnt handle stalls on my dama :)

https://instagram.com/p/2I7o8Rxv_S

KenSan

@kaia.  Yeah I thought why not join and be part of the community. Wont be able to attend any meets this year but maybe next year. Also I just did the basic membership as I already have a Royal Kendama. But if you don't it might be worth paying the extra as they are really solid players.

Regards your videos you look like you've really taken to this kendama stuff well. I haven't even considered handle stalls yet. Just started thinking about Lunars!!

The Void

Hey KenSan, it seems to me that newish players see what other people are doing (on Instagram, etc), and "assume" , "ah, that's what I should be trying". When often, it's the newest, coolest tricks that everyone wants to try, even though they *may* be above their level. I recommend getting a solid grounding on all the lower level tricks, and then working your way up from there.

BUT having said that, different people find different tricks easier or harder, so who's to say which tricks you "should" be trying. Go for that Lunar! And those other stalls! Why not? If they prove to be too difficult for you... step down a level.

But always make sure that you're having FUN!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

kayadama

Cheers @KenSan ive been working hard on the dama tricks. Pretty much stopped riding flatland bmx and concentrated on kendama over the rainy winter season. Totally addicted. Pretty used to slaving away for tricks as flatland bmx can also take months and months if not years to learn things so its very similar in that aspect. I had only really started trying lunar from lighthouse after learning lighthouse flips and bird variations. Have to start with the ken the other way so that the big cup is facing you though. I had also learnt it on a sticky tama first, that being a gold ozora.

kayadama

Yesterday i had done my first bird over the valley :D

Also finished my first custom tama ;)

KenSan

Nice work on the Tama kaia and the bird over valley!

Hit that Lunar today. Got the satisfying "clomp" sound as the big cup landed, followed by a moment of disbelief, and a couple of seconds of euphoria before the ken slipped off the back of the tama! Almost got it again a few more times but not quite. Practice practice practice in that order I suppose.

the milky oolong

Well done, *Clomp* is also a very good approximation of that 'settling into the cups' sound of a nice Lunar. Today I am bloody amazed that I'm still hanging in there on Outlink, had such a struggle with the last trick. better get practising! In general! For anything that might come!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate