News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

BKO 2016 Tricklist tricks..... ?

Started by BKA, 12 January, 2016, 01:24:32

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

If you want to suggest tricks to be included in the BKO Intermediate or Advanced division for 2016, then reply here!

We may take them all from suggestions, we may take none. But it's likely that we'll take at least some.

Please reply by the end of January 20th, GMT.

Thanks.

the milky oolong

Are you also taking suggestions from players yet to confirm their attendance, or just people who 'will be there'?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

Kev

I suggest, The Unicorniplane,

- Hold the tama in either hand.
- place / balance the ken on your forehead on its base cup, spike pointing up
- tip your head forwards so the ken falls forwards
- catch as aeroplane

Daft but fun and tricky.

:)

Dimensions

One I've enjoyed doing, is the 'Thinker big cup'
-Place your weak hand on your forehead and place your Kendama hand through
- In Sara grip catch a big cup
- Pull the Kendama through your arm (no touching the arm!)
-Spike

Kinda in the same position as the thinking statue. Hence thinker big cup.

Another I like to do is: Around the tower aeroplane
-Start with the Ken on the ground, hold in Tama grip
- Lift your arm up above your head - straight - with the Ken dangling (The Tower)
- (righties) Swing the Ken around Clockwise (Around The Tower)
- After 360° lower your arm and catch as an aeroplane

I would quite like to see a 2-turn aeroplane enter the list too!
And for any still placement tricks (like lighthouse etc) I find it more enjoyable to watch when they end in a spike - it also adds more pressure to those who have just hit the quint lunar flip on stage.
Cats Cradle Rocket???

but please try and mix some 'classic' tricks along with the obscure. Try and keep your C-Whips and Bird Over The valley's together just so we don't have to just learn new tricks or tactics our old ones

Just some ideas
-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

the milky oolong

Having recently been on the jury panel at the GKC, I have a bit more of an idea than before about what might make for a balanced trick list. I think that one way to make things a bit more exciting in the intermediate stages would be to have a good few long, simple tricks, for example

Around the Cosmos x2
Around Japan>Around the World>Around Europe
Around Europe>Around USA

I think that'd make things a bit more accessible to good players who are practising hard but don't yet have a big repertoire of tricks, while still making it pretty nerve-wracking for all in the semi-finals and finals. A simple idea, but might be worth thinking about. I still think it'd be fun to watch despite the tricks not being of themselves anything much.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

LarsVegas

Quote from: the milky oolong on 13 January, 2016, 00:12:15
to have a good few long, simple tricks

Makes sense. If you're good at Around the Universe and all theoe combos, you'll easily distribute some letters to your co-players in a game of K.E.N.
Anyway, I think this is a good idea.
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

shalafi

I have a few ideas which I plan to save for the iko, otherwise I'd put them here.

Actually I should make the iko lists and then suggest the tricks as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

mreasyguy

I actually like the past intermediate speed trick round, the pressure makes alot of people crack and is always a good watch! I would like to see a stalled trick in there though. I know it's a speed trick round but even the beginners have a lighthouse.

I think if you tweaked it a little towards the end it would be good so something along the lines of:

1. Knee Bounce
2. Around The World
3. Aeroplane (From Held start)
4. Jumping Stick (From Previous Aeroplane, if missed trick 3 must be done again too)
5. Earth Turn (including Swing In start)
6. Trapeze Acrobats (Minimum 2 rotations)
7. Moshi Kame x 10
8. Lighthouse (held 3 seconds)>falling in

That makes 2 what I like to call "struggle" points with both the jumping stick and lighthouse in play, its a small change but feel would add the the tension  ;)

As for Advanced, I always like the mix of solid and quirky tricks. I think a few more Dan tricks would be nice, especially on the higher end of the scale, mainly 2 turn lighthouse haha, id love to see that there. Oh and everyone can earthturn whirlwind these days, just throw one in for good measure haha!

With such a diverse group of players i can see how it is hard to accommodate tricks to try and challenge everyone. Cant throw too many string tricks in the mix as someone might be hot stuff in that area and same goes for balance/stall tricks.

I do like the call for longer tricks though, so more simple tricks but put in a lcombo to make it harder. Lets say for example: lighthouse>big cup>bird>in. On their own not too bad but having to put them together makes it harder overall.

I dont envy the job of having to decide all these so hats off to you!

BKA

Thanks for the input guys, we'll take some of this on board.

BKA

Re Intermediate: Sometimes it's difficult to have consistency of judging. Especially for balance tricks. One judge's "3 seconds" might be different to another judge's. That's why balance tricks were removed last year, and remain absent. They could return, but it would have to be thought through carefully.
Quote from: mreasyguy on 19 January, 2016, 17:58:103. Aeroplane (From Held start)
4. Jumping Stick (From Previous Aeroplane, if missed trick 3 must be done again too)
There's a name for that. It's "Jumping Stick". ;)

A couple of longer combo tricks are in this year. Didn't want to make them too complex though, since we still only have 3 divisions (no "pro") in BKO at the moment.
Thanks for the thoughts.

BKA

Quote from: Kev on 12 January, 2016, 13:17:24The Unicorniplane,...Daft but fun and tricky.
"Unicorn Diving". Yes, but awkward to enforce where/when the catching hand must be. A good one for a K.E.N. game, maybe...
Quote from: Dimensions on 12 January, 2016, 16:07:21One I've enjoyed doing, is the 'Thinker big cup'
Added (amended name)!
Around the tower aeroplane
-Start with the Ken on the ground, hold in Tama grip
- Lift your arm up above your head - straight - with the Ken dangling (The Tower)
- (righties) Swing the Ken around Clockwise (Around The Tower)
- After 360° lower your arm and catch as an aeroplane
A bit similar to  
 or an old Outlink (Landing Strip) trick? Could have gone in, but didn't.
QuoteI would quite like to see a 2-turn aeroplane enter the list too!
Okay.
QuoteAnd for any still placement tricks (like lighthouse etc) I find it more enjoyable to watch when they end in a spike - it also adds more pressure to those who have just hit the quint lunar flip on stage.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
QuoteCats Cradle Rocket???
:) No.
Quotebut please try and mix some 'classic' tricks along with the obscure.
Yes.
QuoteTry and keep your C-Whips and Bird Over The valley's together just so we don't have to just learn new tricks or tactics our old ones
That did not make sense.
Quote from: mreasyguy on 19 January, 2016, 17:58:10As for Advanced, I always like the mix of solid and quirky tricks.
Agreed. How'd we do?
QuoteI think a few more Dan tricks would be nice, especially on the higher end of the scale, mainly 2 turn lighthouse haha, id love to see that there. Oh and everyone can earthturn whirlwind these days, just throw one in for good measure haha!
1, 3, 5, 7, (12), 16, and 23!
QuoteWith such a diverse group of players i can see how it is hard to accommodate tricks to try and challenge everyone. Cant throw too many string tricks in the mix as someone might be hot stuff in that area and same goes for balance/stall tricks.
Yes, it's always tricky to come up with a balanced list. Every attempt is doomed to failure in some respects, since there are so many tricks, but we do what we can.
QuoteI do like the call for longer tricks though, so more simple tricks but put in a lcombo to make it harder.
For the Knockout Division, this call has to be balanced by remembering that the contest should have a reasonable mix of hits and misses, for crowd entertainment. The "trick level" cannot be too high, or there will be too many misses. Again, this is a judgement call, but we try to keep it to a level that matches the current level of (likely) attending players. That said, there are some A>B(>C) moves in this year's list.
QuoteLets say for example: lighthouse>big cup>bird>in. On their own not too bad but having to put them together makes it harder overall.
That one was just a bit too hard, we thought, but we took two bits of it and put them together.
QuoteI dont envy the job of having to decide all these so hats off to you!
Thanks. :)

Thanks to those who gave feedback. To those that didn't... Enjoy the lists!