News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

... played the 2nd Dan Tricklist without any serious problems, only three tricks where I wasn't able to overaccomplish the requirements. After 496 Moshis in the first attempt I stopped the time, calculated my speed for that trick to be 128 beats per minute, thus: I was a little bit to slow!  :'(

Well, tomorrow ...  ;)

Mark

It was yesterday, but....
I did double spin jumping stick twice! And also was very suprised when i got double spin earth turn! :-)
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

BKA

Well done guys!

Today I.... will be preparing to announce news of BKO 2012. Watch this space...

Mark

Tonight i got a new KD. A nice blue sunrise. Thanks to Void for selling it to me. :-)
And also got double spin earth turn again. Feels like a trick i will get on with. :P
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

GbH

Today I.....chipped a sizeable chunk out of the end of my 'work' Sunrise.  Playing over concrete isn't the best idea, is it?  Have now glued it back together, to see whether it'll remain usable.

Thorny

Today I've been practicing what I've dubbed (rather suitably, if I do say so myself) Kamikaze tricks and Dave's Swirls.

Kamikaze Aeroplane (but I've toyed with the name Kamikaze Aerospike, what do you guys think?), starts of as your bog-standard Suicide Aeroplane: you toss the ken to arch above you and catch the ball. Instead of, however, grabbing the ball and performing an Aeroplane to complete the trick... the tug on the ball so the ken flips, as if to end with a rather swift 1 Turn Aeroplane, but you then toss the ball from your hand and then grab the ken and spike the ball as it falls.

What I consider my real achievements of today though are:

- Kamikaze Bird
- My first Inward Stilt Flip! (After the tediousness of 'Pull Up Inward Stilt' every one in tenish tries being successful) I decided to place the ken in position on the ball and just do the flip.

After 86 bails and 86 repositions, I landed the elusive flip on my 87 try.

BatDancer

Today... I landed Bird for the first time  ;D

Been trying off and on for a few months now. Now to land it for a second time...

Adam K

Quote from: Thorny on 21 November, 2011, 21:28:12
Kamikaze Aeroplane (but I've toyed with the name Kamikaze Aerospike, what do you guys think?), starts of as your bog-standard Suicide Aeroplane: you toss the ken to arch above you and catch the ball. Instead of, however, grabbing the ball and performing an Aeroplane to complete the trick... the tug on the ball so the ken flips, as if to end with a rather swift 1 Turn Aeroplane, but you then toss the ball from your hand and then grab the ken and spike the ball as it falls.
I'd call that a suicide fast throw airplane.

GbH

Three Times One-And-A-Half !!!!

Yeah, it's taken me long enough.  But still.  I got it.

;D

SamB

Quote from: Adam K on 22 November, 2011, 02:24:51
That makes sense but Kamikaze aeroplane is so much cooler and goes in the diabolo tradition of upping the horror stakes naming suicide tricks (Suicide -> duicide -> genocide etc.). Im on board, figuratively speaking.

Oh and today I did a lengthy suicide combo involving 2 swirls, and volunteered to do some kendama on a stage (?!?!) next week.
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Quote from: SamB on 22 November, 2011, 16:40:05
Quote from: Adam K on 22 November, 2011, 02:24:51
Kamikaze Aeroplane starts of as your bog-standard Suicide Aeroplane: you toss the ken to arch above you and catch the ball. Instead of, however, grabbing the ball and performing an Aeroplane to complete the trick... the tug on the ball so the ken flips, as if to end with a rather swift 1 Turn Aeroplane, but you then toss the ball from your hand and then grab the ken and spike the ball as it falls.
Yep, that fits the "fast throw" naming convention, but if it ends with a spike, then it's a Suicide Fast Throw Spike or Suicide Fast Throw Swing In.
That makes sense but Kamikaze aeroplane is so much cooler and goes in the diabolo tradition of upping the horror stakes naming suicide tricks (Suicide -> duicide -> genocide etc.). Im on board, figuratively speaking.

I suppose "suicide fast throw spike" is a bit less snappy than "kamikaze spike", but I'd be slightly cautious since "kamikaze" is a Japanese word - so maybe it's already in use for some trick? (It means "divine wind", by the way).

Nice one Guy - in print, and now in life!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

Quote from: The Void on 22 November, 2011, 17:26:12I'd be slightly cautious since "kamikaze" is a Japanese word - so maybe it's already in use for some trick?
Yep! 'Fraid so, here is a Kamikaze ( 神風 ):
http://www19.atwiki.jp/shakemid/pages/81.html
(Looks like it means "3 spins on your suicide instead of the normal 1") There are several other Kamikaze variations here:
http://www19.atwiki.jp/shakemid/?cmd=search&keyword=神風

You're going to have to stick with "Suicide Fast Throw Spike/Bird", I'm afraid, Thorny! ...... but good job!

GbH

Today I introduced a group of Russian film extras (all dressed in aristocratic Victorian-era attire) to the delights and frustrations of kendama.  They seemed to really love it and were keen to know where to buy one for themselves. 

Thinking about it, it must have made for quite a strange sight to anyone that was watching...

DrJochum

Lately I do not have the time and concentration to practice difficult tricks. Therefore I am looking for and trying out new (at least new to me) tricks that are not so difficult.

I liked the number 3 from the consistency competition #4 ("Pull up and stall tama on the back of your hand > in")http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,194.0.html.
That was a nice little new trick.

I also got inspired by the advanced trick ladder for the BKA Championship 2012 http://kendama.co.uk/bko2012.html.

It is really hard to get the Swing to Pinkie right because it just sits on the tip of my (thick) finger.
You should try it with a Taiyo! It sits well on the finger but if you miss the hole it can hurt a bit...

I did all the whirlewind variations (Pull-up Whirlewind Big Cup - Big Cup Whirelwind Big Cup - Big Cup Whirlewind Base Cup).

I never tried the Thumb Trap before.
Also nice is Orbit the cups.

I was surprised that Gunslinger Spike was not so difficult for me as I expected. I had more problems with the Pull-up Whirlewind Big Cup.

There is one little trick I haven´t seen before. I call it Much Faster Than Gravity. It is the same as Faster Than Gravity, but you are not allowed to bend your back or your knees!! Be quick! It is possible.

There is one trick I did today for the first time. I do not know what it is called ("Sleeping Beauty" perhaps??[nb]I just found out it is called Axe!?[/nb]). You can see it from Jeffrey the Master in his edit 28. The time is 1:54.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5eNSAkTwg&feature=player_embedded#!
I mean just lifting up the ken an laying it on the ball not the crazy (!) twists he is doing afterwards.
It profed to be much more difficult than I thought. It took me about two hours training alltogether over five days.

I have still some easy (or not so difficult) tricks form Voids two books to try out.

And some other tricks again I found and performed I might want to propose for another consistency competition.
Body and mind - Kendama and Shogi

Thorny

Yesterday I managed to successfully (after many attempts)

Rosuko Bird - Over the Valley - Throw both tama and ken in the air, grab the ken in ken grip and - Bird - Over the Valley - Spike :)