News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Mr Jumpshoe's sixth edit

Started by MisterJumpshoe, 27 October, 2011, 13:32:37

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterJumpshoe

All right, chaps and ladies?  :D

I've gone for a different style this time, largely inspired by Guy's Kendama Variations videos and the different 'damas made available to me by Mirek.  This one could be my last, so I hope you enjoy  Please tell me what you think.

Mr Jumpshoe: Kendama Edit VI - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Sorry it's not on Juggling.tv yet.  Had a bit of trouble trying to upload it.  And I know the picture quality's not great.  I'm just not a technician   :-\
Music Has the Right to Children

The Void

Ooooh, absolutely splendid! Loved the micro stuff. I yelled "No way!" out loud at one point. Good job.
Sorry to hear you say it might be your last - I do hope not!

Cheers.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Peter

How innovative can you be with an old toy????  I loved the Wenatchee video, but this one drives me crazy. Two balls at one string without a ken... anyone who have had this idea before? And then the full space walk number with it, ...

I'm loving it! :'(

Really: that is inspiration!

GbH

Hi, Mr J!  Thanks for posting the video and, indeed, for the mention in your post above.  To a large extent, I tend to suspect that what I do is somewhat 'out of step' with what many kendama players want/expect, so it's a nice surprise to see someone mention me as an influence.

In your video, I was particularly interested in seeing that you were exploring some two-ken tricks, as I've been having fun with that myself, recently.  Penguin-to-penguin transfers are nice to play with, as are some swinging ken releases where the ball rests on the opposite hand's cup.  (Yep, for the jugglers amongst you, this stuff soon gets into ballstick territory, too!).  Also, as Void says above, the mini kendama tricks almost seem to be what's beyond possible.

Your mention of it maybe being your last Edit is interesting.  I've suspected for a while that the current technical 'arms race' that seems to be evident in many of the videos coming from the wider community at the moment will have a limited lifespan of interest for most people.  Sure, there will always be more technical variations to be found, but I think that the appeal of following that path will diminish as the content gets more and more spurious and difficult to keep up with.  So, at a guess, I'm wondering whether you're starting to think like this too?

I know that I, personally, have no interest in making a conventional technical kendama 'Edit', but that doesn't mean that there aren't other styles of video or live performance to be explored.  I personally find it more interesting to try and create stuff that might appeal to people that don't already play kendama, even if that means that the technical content is easy or irrelevant.  I guess I'm in the minority with this.  I do suspect, though, that there are still a great many other directions that the core kendama skill set could be taken, should anyone be creative enough to think about it.  Anyhow...it's just a thought and I concede that I may have got completely the wrong end of the ken(!) with all this.

MisterJumpshoe

Thanks for the responses, guys.

What I really like about your Kendama Variations videos, GbH, is that they are very distinctive and stylish.  And you are right: I believe it will be my last edit because I think I have reached my technical peak.  Any edit I make hereafter will not be much of a departure from the last two, and so there wouldn't be much point.

I could try some more experimental stuff; I'll see.  Maybe I'll see what else I can do with the Mini and Micro 'damas.

Is there a name for the style of play when you just string two balls together?

Oh - and I still can't upload it to JTV.  Just isn't working  :(
Music Has the Right to Children

The Void

Quote from: MisterJumpshoe on 28 October, 2011, 16:09:15Is there a name for the style of play when you just string two balls together?
Hydra-style, or just Hydra. Name via Greek mythology: "...for each head cut off it grew two more..."

Quote from: Peter on 27 October, 2011, 22:33:32
Two balls at one string without a ken... anyone who have had this idea before? And then the full space walk number with it, ...
Robin was the first (that I know of) to come up with the idea of a Hydra (see Kendama Tribe vid), and I've seen a few people (Looby, Dave....) do a few tricks with it without the ken, but Mr J has certainly taken it further.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Peter

Gosh, I never understood what Robin was doing in the Trive vid. I have seen this film dozen of times. I have seen the second ball, but I have never understood where it has come from. Stringed together! Now it makes "click", ... !!!

Awesome.

Mr J. shuffles my mind from 3:50 onwards. Not only the technical skill, but being able to think about thinks like this. This is the difference between craftsmanship and art. Coming up with new ideas. Not growing, but starting to fly.