News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

BLK Kendama

Started by Coach_Styles, 16 October, 2013, 15:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach_Styles

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with one of these kendamas yet. I'm considering buying one and I would love to hear some feedback. Pros and cons please!

Thanks in advance.

BrandonYoder

Evolderek

Hi guys,

I bought one of the BLK White kendama's. I actually quite like it. The ken reminds me of Shenzhu and Ozoras. The paint seems to be pretty nice. The white wasn't glossy and has decent grip. Im still learning a lot of advanced stuff but Lighthouses, birds and when I could get them, Lunars were all really nice.

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the Ken wasn't near as white as the picture on their website. But the stain is holding up rather nicely.

Hopefully this helps!

justinlikesdogs

I was looking at BLK kendamas recently and was having a thought of buying one. Has anyone ever owned it and give me a review on playability ad durability?

isaacsdad

I picked up a beeswax to see what BLK kendamas are like; liked it so much I also got a metallic blue. They are well made, kens on the thinner side, similar to Ozora and Sweets Homegrowns. The beeswax is like a natural wood tama; metallic blue nicely grippy, a cinch for lighthouses and other such tricks. The first one weighed in at 2.74 oz (77.8 grams) for the tama, 2.39 oz (67.6 gms) for the ken. Blue weighs 2.48 oz (70.6 gms) tama; 2.38 oz (67.5 gms) ken. Lengthwise, both kens are just about 6.5 inches (sorry, no metric ruler handy)--which is an eighth to a quarter of an inch longer than most other kens I can compare them with, such as a Homegrown and a Sweets Pro. The spike lengths are also on the longer side--fully 1.75 inches on the first kendama, and just over TWO INCHES on the second. The sarado on the second ken is so low the string hole in the ken is partly visible. (I've seen this twice before on other damas, a Sweets chameleon being one of them.) This may not be your preference, but the kendama is still playable. It may even offer a couple of small advantages--a lower center of gravity for lighthouses, and a less extreme balance point for lunars. Jumping sticks, however, need a little bit more care when launching. Speaking of which, the tama hole is smoothly beveled all the way in; nice touch. Blue paint is pretty and so far proving to be durable. Not chipping like many cheap (and some very expensive) kendamas. Unless longer spikes are really not your style, I would say BLK's offer great value for the price.

mooingdeathphd

Quote from: isaacsdad on 18 April, 2014, 06:32:08
I picked up a beeswax to see what BLK kendamas are like; liked it so much I also got a metallic blue. They are well made, kens on the thinner side, similar to Ozora and Sweets Homegrowns. The beeswax is like a natural wood tama; metallic blue nicely grippy, a cinch for lighthouses and other such tricks. The first one weighed in at 2.74 oz (77.8 grams) for the tama, 2.39 oz (67.6 gms) for the ken. Blue weighs 2.48 oz (70.6 gms) tama; 2.38 oz (67.5 gms) ken. Lengthwise, both kens are just about 6.5 inches (sorry, no metric ruler handy)--which is an eighth to a quarter of an inch longer than most other kens I can compare them with, such as a Homegrown and a Sweets Pro. The spike lengths are also on the longer side--fully 1.75 inches on the first kendama, and just over TWO INCHES on the second. The sarado on the second ken is so low the string hole in the ken is partly visible. (I've seen this twice before on other damas, a Sweets chameleon being one of them.) This may not be your preference, but the kendama is still playable. It may even offer a couple of small advantages--a lower center of gravity for lighthouses, and a less extreme balance point for lunars. Jumping sticks, however, need a little bit more care when launching. Speaking of which, the tama hole is smoothly beveled all the way in; nice touch. Blue paint is pretty and so far proving to be durable. Not chipping like many cheap (and some very expensive) kendamas. Unless longer spikes are really not your style, I would say BLK's offer great value for the price.
I agree with this post completely except that the ken on my beeswax is actually wider than that of my Tribute Half-Split Silk.