News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Tama grip (inverted/upside down tricks)

Started by BatDancer, 14 July, 2011, 07:40:33

Previous topic - Next topic

BatDancer

Is Falling Down simply an inverted Around The Prefecture in a Tama grip?

Similarly, is Jumping Stick an inverted, Dama grip Earth Turn?

Just a daft idea...

Harrydh3

The Void

I think BD knows what the trick *is*, Harry, but was referring to the relationships between tricks.

For example, I've always thought that Aeroplane and Furiken were essentially the same trick, just with the initial holds of ken and ball swapped.

So, if you want to think of it that way[nb]ie if you want to confuse everyone that bit more! :P[/nb], then I'd say yes, Falling Down equates to Arnd Pref in Tama grip.

However, I don't think your second analogy holds up, since the ball turns in one case, and the ken in the other.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BatDancer

Fair point Void. How about Spike - Whirlwind Spike or Airplane - "Whirlwind Ball"[nb]Spin the ball while the ken goes straight up and down[/nb] as 'upside down' Jumping Stick / Earth Turn?

Not sure why I was thinking about 'upside down' tricks. Perhaps I should stop doing all those headstands...

The Void

Argh, stop it, you're making my head hurt!!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Harrydh3

QuoteSpike - Whirlwind Spike or Airplane - "Whirlwind Ball"[1] as 'upside down' Jumping Stick / Earth Turn?

I cant for the life of me work out what you're talking about.   ???

AlexSmith

One of my friends was doing 'whirlwind ball' jumping sticks in his last edit. Neat little trick

I've hit stilt whirlwind ball to in before, kind of a weird fun little trick. (upside down bird flip in? :P)

BatDancer

Alex, you're a marvel. No-one else seemed to like the idea of upside down tricks. However, I think you're describing an upside down Bird - Earth Turn...

Harry, picture if you will the execution of a Jumping Stick[nb]Airplane - 360o flip of the ken[/nb]. Now imagine it upside down, while holding the ball instead of the ken. You have a Furiken - Whirlwind Spike[nb]360o filp of the ken before catching the ball on the spike[/nb]. THAT's what I'm talking about... The components do the same thing, but you're holding onto the 'other' bit. It's just an idea that came to me while I was thinking about other tricks to try...

BKA

Quote from: BatDancer on 14 July, 2011, 21:46:05
....holding the ball instead of the ken.

I think you mean holding the ken instead of the ball!

Harrydh3

QuoteHarry, picture if you will the execution of a Jumping Stick[1]. Now imagine it upside down, while holding the ball instead of the ken. You have a Furiken - Whirlwind Spike[2]. THAT's what I'm talking about... The components do the same thing, but you're holding onto the 'other' bit. It's just an idea that came to me while I was thinking about other tricks to try...

ok i think i'm on the page :P
like an inverted  whirlwind earth turn...
That sounds silly hard!

The Void

Quote from: BatDancer on 14 July, 2011, 21:46:05
No-one else seemed to like the idea of upside down tricks.

Don't get me wrong, I think it can be a really neat way of coming up with new tricks and variations by thinking "Okay, I can do Trick X, but what if I invert some of the trick's properties..... AHA! Trick Y!"

However, having come up with Trick Y, I think it's confusing to describe it as "inverted X", because there are different interpretations of what constitutes an inversion.
Example: Bird. Is "inverted Bird" the same as Bat, or is "inverted Bird" Bamboo Horse/Stilts? Both of those tricks contain inversions of parts of the elements of Bird!

So I would say sure, use the thought process to develop your tricks, but once you've come up with Trick Y, just describe exactly what the trick elements are as simply as you can.

BKA

I altered the title of this thread, to be more helpful in the future for searches on this topic.

The Void

Quote from: BatDancer on 14 July, 2011, 07:40:33....is Jumping Stick an inverted, Dama grip Earth Turn?
Quote from: The Void on 14 July, 2011, 12:10:48However, I don't think your second analogy holds up, since the ball turns in one case, and the ken in the other.
Just to highlight the confusion factor, I now disagree with myself, and think that the second example holds up too! :)

shalafi

I like this idea of inverted tricks. Also "inverse tricks: As aeroplane <-> furiken

Actually scoop the spike is esentially a inverted spike
Bamboo horse is an inverted bird
And a moon lander is "just" an inverted big cup...

What about an inverted "around the world" ?

It is like: Small cup mooon landing -> (half) flip to moon landing -> lighthouse -> falling down. Nice!

An inverted "Around europe" will be even more awesome.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: shalafi on 29 August, 2011, 09:22:35
I like this idea of inverted tricks. Also "inverse tricks: As aeroplane <-> furiken

Actually scoop the spike is esentially a inverted spike
Nearly, but in Scoop Spike, after the catch is made, the whole ken is turned upside down. That doesn't happen in Spike.
Bamboo horse is an inverted bird
But the ken turns on the way up in BH, so you'd have to say it's an inverted swing to Bird
And a moon lander is "just" an inverted big cup...

What about an inverted "around the world" ?

It is like: Small cup mooon landing -> (half) flip to moon landing -> lighthouse -> falling down. Nice!
Sounds like one for Matty!

An inverted "Around europe" will be even more awesome.
Sure would!