News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

My 1st Edit

Started by AlexSmith, 04 October, 2012, 05:11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexSmith

Hey all!

Finished this up a couple weeks ago. Now, after a couple slight edits, its finally ready to go!
My first full length solo edit. Filmed pretty much entirely within a month's time while travelling through Europe. Guest appearance by the BKA's own Void, as he impersonates every oblivious EJC-goer who happened to wander through the dama-corner.

Enjoy! Feedback appreciated.

Bad Wolf

I watched this about five times right when it was posted. You've got real fancy stuff in there; great job, Alex!

What do you call that, (for lack of a better term,) finger-roll, in the first trick? Would it still be referred to as a half-swirl airplane?

HansNickmans

For a 1st edit, that's coming in strong! ;-)

Great stuff Alex, the way you come up with new and creative stuff is inspiring.

By the way, did I see Bruges in that edit?
Kendama Belgium!

shalafi

I saw is posted on facebook, really nice!

You are such a lazy man, you should have 4 or 5 edits by now given your level and the amount of tricks you do :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Very nice bunch of combos, Alex. Respect.

That Lighthouse one.... were you trying for a lighthouse finish, or is that one of those ones where you suddenly find yourself mid-trick, realising "Oh, I can do *this*"? :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

Amazing! Beckoning cat -> lunar and plenty of scrambling gets my infinite approval! Shame some idiot is distractingly shuffling diabolos in the background...
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Thorny

Watched this twice already, really nifty tricks dude. Thorough approval! haha

AlexSmith

Thanks everyone! Glad you all enjoyed!

@ Void, I was trying for the no-flip to lighthouse, though sometimes if I caught it a little later it would do a flip up. I actually landed that last trick 3 different times (no-flip to LH each time), but the camera was sitting on a windowsill across the alley and the first two times the framing was off :p (We couldn't check the framing until afterwards, as the camera was sitting with its back right against the window).

@ shalafi, mostly, I need to find time to film and edit :p I have sooo much footage of other people from this summer to go through!

@Hans, second trick was filmed in Bruges! We spent two nights there

@ Badwolf, it is a swirl, but not a 'standard' one. Its the same swirl I do later in the edit in a line with a pink tribute. Instead of rotating in the direction 'normal' swirls do (the 'opposite of spacewalk' direction), the kendama is thrown in the same direction as a normal spacewalk trick. You catch the tama/ken with your left hand, and then swirl over your right finger, catching the ken/tama with your left hand again at the end of the swirl (this is the weird part of the trick to learn). After that you can just throw it back to your right hand, or try to finish with a lefty spike.
... I hope that makes sense. Its kinda tough to explain :P

Bad Wolf

Haha, makes perfect sense actually thanks.  Had to read it while reviewing the video to fully comprehend what was going on.  Jeez, it's a lot more complicated than I thought!  Once again, great job!

P.S.  It's about time you came out with a full edit haha

shalafi

Just teasing you Alex :-P, I'm sure we all will love to see more edits from you.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.