News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Never practice off-camera!
An impossible piece of advice to adhere to, but one that's always apt (after the event)!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

PikWik

im slowly starting to realize that having a camera rolling while practicing is a must, once you get to certain level. im trying to make it a habit of having a spare smart phone (galaxy s3) specifically for filming long periods of practice. the process isnt burned in, but im getting the rhythm of 'lighting , roll camera , then practice'. its still awkward, and i find myself bored with watching the single framed composition. but, its making me think of unique and better ways to film kendama.

and then, some days, i forget all about having the camera rolling, land a huge combo, and am just happy that i did it. in the end i am doing this for myself, so to know the accomplishment has been completed is rewarding enough. if i can land the trick consecutively, and clean, then i try to record it. but, im honestly not at a skill level to make a serious edit,. Yet

The Void

Messed up my practice on 1-T LH today. A terrible 3/10. So annoying, when I passed everything else.

I've been trying this week to confirm a venue for BKO. No luck yet. Bah. Still working on it.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

Today I practiced my Insta jumping sticks. But like most Insta practices, I always got a few flukes
Insta-J > Insta-J in to stilt > Insta-somersault in
Insta-J > boarders > Insta-reverse somersault in

I also managed to get: aeroplane > UFO throw - drop in to merry-go-round > spike!
I laughed so much after that
#wishIwasfilming

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

M.Wang

Today I just did:
Helicopter->handroll->spike
spacewalk->handroll->big cup-> kenflip->spike

Yes!
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

BKA

Quote from: M.Wang on 13 October, 2014, 02:24:59Today I just did:

Yes!
Well done, but what are you calling "Helicopter"?
Here is what Helicopter is on kendama:

That doesn't seem to flow into Handroll? Perhaps you have found a way though.

The Void

Tonight at the juggling club, while waiting for the kettle to boil, I beat my own (and current forum) record for Stilts: 5 in a row. Off camera, of course, d'oh!
And missed the last 6D trick by one as well. :-/

PikWik

Quote from: The Void
I beat my own (and current forum) record for Stilts: 5 in a row. Off camera, of course, d'oh!

good going on the record. it seems my kitchen dama gets the most random play and subsequent 1st-landings/off camera combos

------------------------------

... landed some 1-turn stilts while trying to land 2-turn lighthouses. its weird. at first i would only use my GT for 1-turn/2-turn stuff. but since ive learned the proper technique, ive been using standard/JKA kendamas. i wish i had tried to learn the motion sooner. before, i couldnt imagine doing 2-turn tricks, but now that ive started landing them, they arent as "impossible"

M.Wang

Quote from: BKA on 13 October, 2014, 11:33:04

Yes!

oh! Never mind then! That's what yoyojordan (my cousin) called it. The trick I dud is when I hold the string in my non ken hand and spin the string horizontaly in a circle then throw the ken side ways so they spin in facing away from each other. I will send you a quick video.
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

M.Wang

Quote from: BKA on 13 October, 2014, 11:33:04

Yes!

ok. Here is the video of not so 'helicopter'
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

M.Wang

Shoot, for some reason, the video didn't post. Sorry.
-M.Wang

Simplicity! CLICKON!
KENDAMA.

The Void

Hey Matt, I think maybe you mean Rotary Swing (which maybe some people are also calling Carousel?)?
See 1m10 here: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97.msg8465.html#msg8465

The Void

Today I practice-passed 6th Dan. 3rd time this month. More practice!

nils

Three days ago I started playing with my left hand. Today I landed one turn lunar :)
Mr European Speed Trick Champion 2010! :D (as suggested by The Void)

The Void

Excellent "success face"! Nice job.
Now go and join the Endless Combo.