News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Speed Trick B

Started by SamB, 10 September, 2011, 20:42:29

Previous topic - Next topic

SamB

I noticed a fair bit of talk on here about the JKA speed trick B:

1. Swing to candle
2. Around the prefecture
3. Around Japan 2 times
4. Around the world 2 times
5. Around Europe
6. Earth turn
7. Bird and in
8. Jumping stick
9. One-turn aeroplane
10. Falling down

I just started practicing and have some questions:

Is "Around Japan 2 times" big -> small -> spike -> big -> small -> spike or do you start from with the ball down after the first around Japan?
Do the bird and lighthouse have to be still and if so for how long?

Obviously more tips, videos, and record times would be awesome

!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

BKA

Quote from: SamB on 10 September, 2011, 20:42:29
I noticed a fair bit of talk on here about the JKA speed trick B:
Is "Around Japan 2 times" big -> small -> spike -> big -> small -> spike
Yes, although it's traditionally small cup first, then big (but the other way around is allowed).
Quoteor do you start from with the ball down after the first around Japan?
Do the bird and lighthouse have to be still and if so for how long?
No and No Yes, but only for "a moment" - The Bird must be full contact and clear, and the Lighthouse must be vertical.
Obviously more tips, videos, and record times would be awesome!
Check out how it's really done!

AlexSmith

I think I've seen that before... but that is literally the fastest I can imagine anyone doing it ever. It blows my mind every time.
One thing... I'm guessing you don't have to furiken into the earth turn like he does? As anyone who has furikens down well will tell you, a furiken can actually be easier to land than a straight pull up spike, so I'm guessing thats why he does it that way?

The Void

The trick Earth Turn *includes* the swing in, so yes, you do.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Mark

My current fastest time of this is 2minutes.
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

Dadooh

I have a very important question about speed trick B and more precisely concerning "around japan 2 times" and "around the world 2 times". For example, if i miss the second around japan, should i do around japan 2 times once again or just the second one?

BKA

You have to do both again.
Think of it as one trick that is "Around Japan two times in a row".

Dadooh

Ok thanks for the precision. It means that i didn't break my record this morning :'(. Ok let's try again!

BKA

YB's been doing his homework:

SamB

Recently I've been focussing on getting my kendama more accurate, particularly the Speed Trick B. Seems it paid off with a new PB of 44 seconds!

Also, I used the PLAY kendama I won at the BKO. I have to say it has broken in nicely!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Awesome work Sam. Keep it up for HyperJapan/EKO!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Thought I'd revive this thread as a) I'm currently going through my paces shaving off the seconds, and b), well, it might be an important practise point for a lot of other players.

After hardly touching it up until last year's EKO (where I scored a not so great 2m16s) it's become one of my essential practise lines, and I've learned a lot from it. As soon as there's a mention of time pressure or real rep at stake I'm a seriously nervous kendama player, but just practising Speed Trick B alone has helped me with my breathing, focus and steadiness of hand.

It's only after grappling with it almost every day that you realize that it's a ladder that's been very carefully thought out: after the Candle, it's 22 Cup to Spike stations, with the x2 Around the World punishing the careless with a repeated 8 before moving on. Then, after all this Cups and Spike stuff, the Bird > In demands a totally different kind of play, and requires you to switch into it smoothly.

The moment that 'In' hits home it's all about perfect releases and smooth arcs and flips in what seems like the slalom run of the trick. Then, just when you're keen on your toes for flips you're jerked back down a gear with the Lighthouse > Falling Down, an 'about face' of style that requires a great deal of concentration for such a seemingly easy finishing trick.

Anyone have any thoughts on this elegant little run? Feel like I'd benefit from any cheeky hints.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Today I ran STB 5 seconds too slowly. Not for any grading, just for noticing that my porridge was bubbling over the bowl in the microwave.

The Void

Dusted off the ol' STB last night. Got a 45 sec run, including 2 misses on Bird. That'll do.

azleonhart

Quote from: the milky oolong on 27 January, 2015, 20:32:07
Anyone have any thoughts on this elegant little run? Feel like I'd benefit from any cheeky hints.

Hmm.. When i started out with STB i simply did all the tricks in order without time constraints, regardless of miss or not, for a few days.
Then i took my time to try to reduce the number of errors, still no time constraints for a week or so.
Then i made it so that whenever i miss a trick, i would have to start over again, but still no time constraints.
Then i tried to fit it in 120 secs, with the "miss and start over" rule.
After feeling a bit comfy, squish it to 60 secs.
And that's currently where i stand.

(Stray) observations:
- This may be the most overlooked aspect, but string length is of utmost importance. Gotta get it ideal. e.g. Too long a string can add 1 or 2 secs to the pull-up candlestick, or even earth turn.
- String tension is also crucial. Tangled string can punish you anywhere between 2-7 seconds.
- The more time your tama / ken is spent in the air, the more time you'll lose.
- For Around Japan / World / Europe, i highly recommend starting from the small cup. The progression is more natural (in a circle), thus faster.
- Transitioning between tricks is an art, it seems. At places where your playing hand switches between the tama and ken, especially after the 1st and 7th trick, time can be lost fiddling with strings, ken, etc. Experiment the fastest ways to transition out.
- Just before the tama touches the sarado (during a spike), i quickly "bounce" the tama out to gain some microseconds.
- The same can also be done with the last trick. It's basically a lighthouse insta-spike kinda thing.
What the trick?