News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

I finally landed lighthouse somersault on a regular Kendama! (I did it with a performer a while ago)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Misterwhang

I think it is painted/stained, definitely not black wood..It was a small event held at a really popular mall in tsim sha tsui hong kong..it was a small set up to promote kendama play. An hk kendama company call pak fuk collaborated with an hk clothing/skate company to make these shark head kendamas. The competition was very small it was about 10 people. We were timed on the 10 basic moves (big cup through lighthouse).. the second part was who could juggle the most in one minute (moshi kame). It was a neat little event and the mall was packed with people walking by wanting to try out kendama! There is not many people that play kendama in hk but they work hard spreading the word. I am happy to have been a part of the event! :)

The Void

Cheers for the info, Alan. Always good to hear of kendama events being run.

Today I turned 2-Turn Lighthouse green in my Android KendamApp. That means I've done the required (for 6th Dan) 3/10 three days in a row. I've never done that before. (4,4,3).
Also, I only failed to self-certify myself as 6th Dan by one trick: Jumping Stick, 7/10 instead of 8. Still a long way to go, but that's my best 6th Dan run ever. (I failed by 1 trick once before, but that was on the hardest trick, so I think this counts as better.)

That was a good day... Exactly 21 years to the day since I started juggling.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

@Void you do remember the day you started juggling?

I remember the moment, but no idea of the day, it was sometime in August, probably the first or second week, I think it was 1993. So it is going to be 20 years for me :-)

Great run, BTW.

I did double turn swing in yesterday, never tried before, it is tricky.

The Void

Nice one Raul. I think I've tried that a few times, and yes, it's tricky.
I remember the exact date I started juggling only by accident. We were having a conversation about how long it takes to learn 3/4/5 balls, so I thought "okay, let's see...". It was "the day before American Independence day", so that was easy to remember. (A day/a week/6 months, in case you're wondering.)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

20 years and I'm still not able to do 5 balls properly :-( in fact I started "juggling" something like 2 years after that (again in August, almost same place) the first 2 years I only did diabolo(s)

That being said, I can't believe I've been playing Kendama for almost 3 years already. And yes, I remember both, my first kendama (EJC Joensuu 2010) and the first time I played with one (BJC Duncaster 2008) and it was Donald's kendama BTW.

donald grant

Ahh, my black mugen!  I still have it but sadly it's no longer in the same condition as 2008 -sigh- :) !

shalafi

Wait... the first Kendama I played with was a mugen!?

PikWik

great discussions, really glad to find a place with so many jugglers/kendama players!

i havent been around lately but Hey, i landed my first legit lunar

i was just practicing and practicing and on a random throw it just stuck. i held it there for what mustve been a minute; my eyes in awe!
lunars, for me, are one of those tricks i didnt think was going to happen for a while and then it just Did :)
i must say, my focus and determination for kendama has yet to be matched by something else. truly enjoy this game and the people involved

The Void

emagdnim

@PikWik congrats buddy.

I hope I can do them someday to. Have landed Lunar and Stil both I think 3 times now, but want to land them some day at least once a day

emagdnim

I Finaly landed Reverse one turn lighthouse

the milky oolong

[user]emagdnim[/user] Good stuff, really a whole different kettle of fish to 1-Turn. Just recently getting to grips with those tricks, getting my Reverse Lighthouse Somersaults tightened up, and yesterday just landed Build the Lighthouse with the extra flip (Like a Jumping Stick plus an extra half spin) - practising regularly after work for an hour in the park I've begun to really enjoy just going for it, working out tricks on-the-fly and in combos - adds a whole different fun factor when you land that 'risk-just-one-last-trick' run. The feedback on the forum is a great support. Thanks guys.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

HansNickmans

Today I did some solid corkscrews. Ever since I saw them in an older kendamaUSA edit by Colin Sander, I've tried them out. Before that I used to do them like K.Cima (on his channel somewhere) with some help from the other hand. But ever Colin's edit 9, I started practicing them again. It's a very weird looking spin, and I don't really know a how-many-corkscrew it is, but it's beginning to click.

Now on to those corkscrew lighthouse flips...
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

Keep it up everyone!
@Hans I've never worked on those. Show me at Toulouse?