News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

What's that trick called...

Started by John, 03 August, 2011, 17:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddhaprice

that would be the one thank you

John

And I believe just catching the ball on the crosspiece is called a "frying pan" - at least that's what the Kengarden ladders have dubbed it before..

BKA

It's also been called a "Ken stop". I don't know if there's an official Japanese name.

HansNickmans

What is a whirlwind called when the ken is spinned around its longest axis? I very much like this trick but I haven't found a name anywhere. Additionally, is there a name for the spin where the ken is flipped around both axes (Zack Yourd does this one a couple of times in the Kendama USA edit)? I keep calling it a "hardflip", taken from skateboarding..
Kendama Belgium!

BKA

Quote from: HansNickmans on 08 January, 2012, 16:36:09
What is a whirlwind called when the ken is spinned around its longest axis?
Tornado.
QuoteI very much like this trick but I haven't found a name anywhere. Additionally, is there a name for the spin where the ken is flipped around both axes (Zack Yourd does this one a couple of times in the Kendama USA edit)? I keep calling it a "hardflip", taken from skateboarding..
"Both"? Doesn't it have 3?!

HansNickmans

Yeah, I meant the two from whirlwind and tornado. The axis that goes through small and big cup's center is very hard to do a whirlwind-style flip (without if going around another axis), unless you're doing a turntable (which, in my opinion, is a different class of trick).

As for the tornado, isn't that also the name of the Turner Thorne-spacewalk-trick where the string is held in the middle? And I also found this trick on the BKA-site called Tornado base cup, which is again something else:

Kendama Belgium!

BKA

Okay, so there is some inconsistency here. First of all, the "hold the string" trick is called "baton twirl" in Japan, but some American players are calling it Tornado.

The trick you posted above (from Kendama Revolutions, not from the BKA site!) contains the text: トルネード or "Torunēdo" which translates as "Tornado". But if we also look at Boarder's tricks on KR, we find these 3:
"Masakari hāfutorunēdo" Axe Half Tornado

"Hāfutorunēdo" [Stilt] Half Tornado

"Furutorunēdo" [Stilt] Full Tornado , all of which use the same Japanese characters for Tornado.

I think maybe K.Cima will have to re-name his trick!!

BKA

Quote from: HansNickmans on 09 January, 2012, 08:46:33...is there a name for the spin where the ken is flipped around both axes...
I meant the two from whirlwind and tornado.
It might depend on the trick.
In this post, Joe describes a Jumping stick with the extra axis of rotation, which Void called a Tornado Jumping Stick, which seems to fit, but perhaps his alternative "Corkscrew..." suggestion could work in other places.

AverieLee

You guys do know the Skateboard trick TreFlip aka 360 Flip what would be the name on the Ken. Everytime I say 360 kenflip people think of just a basic kenflip XD.
Me and my friend just came up wit h a name for the mean time. Kreflip lol very corny but I dig it.

The Void

[Topics merged]
Not being a skater, I'm afraid I don't know the skateboard trick. But I suspect that it might be what Hans was asking about in this post, so Tornado Whirlwind?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

steffibearpaw

Hi everybody,please can you help me?
How is the trick #8 on the EKO beginners trick list called and where can i get a gif of it ?

The Void

Around The Village
It's in the video on http://kendama.co.uk/EKO2011.html
I'm not aware of a gif of it.

Edit: Realised you might not have been talking about the 2011 list. Past events still have their event pages up, with videos embedded. Follow the links on http://kendama.co.uk/competition.html (scroll down).
Edit2: EKO 2010 rules page link was a bit lost: http://kendama.co.uk/EKC2010.html
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

steffibearpaw

Thank you Void, i got it!
Now it's my turn to work on it... this evening i even smashed some equipment trying to turn the Kendama....  :)...little bit tricky to hold the Dama on the Ken while turning around it.... but I'm very ambitious  8)

Dadooh

Hi everyone. I want to know how is called the trick at 00'19'' in this video. Thanks!

BKA

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between a name and a description. You could describe that as "Finger-Wrap Swing In > Unwrap Swing In". Any other ideas, people?