News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Outlink 2016 - Come and join

Started by shalafi, 18 January, 2016, 22:04:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Jak

I had a little play this morning and I'm still struggling to understand which bit I'm missing, can someone else help? 

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The Void

@Jak  I watched yr vid last night and was confused - I thought you'd done it right. But looking again now, here's what I think (Disclaimer: I'm NOT the judge, so @shalafi can contradict me if I've got anything wrong):

As you exit the legs the last time, you pinch the string. All good up to here.
But then you swung the tama OVER the arm.
You should keep hold of the ken and let the tama swing 1 full rotation UNDER the arm BEFORE you release into the Rotary Swing.
Go OVER the arm after the Rotary Swing and BEFORE the final Spike. (You did that right.)

Edit: @oesterzilla Maybe that's useful info for you too?
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Jak

Ahh thank you void! That makes complete sense. I will try that!

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: The Void on 16 March, 2016, 12:51:32
But then you swung the tama OVER the arm.

That is true (watching yesterday at 1/4 speed, I totally missed it - good eyes, Void 8)). However, @shalafi was talking about unfinished rotations. After watching the video over and over, I think what he means is that the tama should finish the circle before being pulled-up at the end, therefore drawing 4 complete circles in the air.

The Void

Aaaaah! Right, yes, maybe that was... say, 3.75.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Jak

Thanks Jakub, so the tama has to come all the way around so it's between my body and the ken before I pull up to spike (instead of being to my left)? I will try that too,  thanks for the help.

jakub.zahumensky

Quote from: Jak on 16 March, 2016, 14:09:00
Thanks Jakub, so the tama has to come all the way around so it's between my body and the ken before I pull up to spike (instead of being to my left)? I will try that too,  thanks for the help.

I think it should be in the same position as when you pinch it - for me, that's about 20-30° relative to the line of the shoulders - so the tama is actually further from my body than the ken - hope this is not confusing. All in all said, apart from the over/under arm thing that Void mentioned, I honestly don't see much difference between your and my rotary spikes.. Maybe it's just the camera angle that makes it look different, I don't know.

shalafi

Thanks guys! I saw something weird at the beginning, which I really couldn't identify, and that's what Void says.

And then, jakub, yes that's exactly my point.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Jak

Any closer? I've got a few takes.

Dimensions

Turn the sound up real high to hear the keyword
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

@Jak Edit, reviewed and it's good. Accepted

Nice flow and good clean catches

shalafi

shalafi

@oesterzilla nice flow and nice knee work at the last catch. Accepted!

SamB

BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...