News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

LarsVegas

Today I ... landed Falling Down.

I know that this is exactly the content of the first posting of this thread, but today I did it :-)

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BKA

Well done Lars.
It's moments like that that we all remember... at whatever level you're at, taking one step further always feels great!

AlexSmith

Indeed... Feels so great that here we are, strangly addicted to a small wooden toy... I wonder how many hours we have all spent playing if you added it all up

BatDancer

Hey Lars, is there an echo in here. That's what I said!  8)

Seriously, well done - it's easily the hardest trick I've ever landed, and I've only actually managed it once!

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

MasterKatra42

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

There you are, Void.  Set to 138, click to your heart's content.  I've been practicing with it for a week or so now, and now I find my moshekame is getting more solid at that speed.  Faster or slower, I falter.

LarsVegas

... tried the online metronome for Moshikame. At first I thought you're all crazy - 151bpm. I started slowly at 80, thought I would not get beyond 100 and worked myself up to 120.

I still think you're all crazy.

But the online metronome is a very good helper. It keeps you strictly in the rhythm and I quickly got more fluent. Great link, MasterKatra42!
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BatDancer

The Void

Quote from: MasterKatra42 on 25 August, 2011, 18:20:13
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
There you are, Void.  Set to 138, click to your heart's content.
When I clicked on the metronome, just listening to 138 sounded really fast, and 152 just nuts. But having just tried to click along to it, it's not so bad. However, I don't practice next to my computer, so I'll just have to carry on using my internal clock. :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

GbH

I've got a good, free, metronome on my (Android) phone.  I'm sure you can find similar apps on other platforms.  Thus, it's a lot more practical to use that, than a PC program or a traditional mechanical device.

Adam K

Today was all birds all the time, I got 5 big cup birds in a row, bird over valley to spike, reverse bird over valley to spike, and sara grip bird to spike! WHOO!

AlexSmith

Q: why are Sara grip birds so damn hard?
A: I don't know, but I can't seem to get the hang of em
(real A: I need more practise time with em?)

Today when I walked out of the hostel I'm staying at in San Fran there was a Korean guy out front who got excited and pointed at my kendama (it was hanging around my neck). I did an around Europe to show what it was about, then let him give it a go. He landed a big cup after a few tries and looked pretty happy. A French fellow having a smoke to the side laughed and said 'Bilboquet!' in a thick accent.
Funny little encounter

BatDancer

Today I managed Slip-on Stick on my first attempt  ;D  The next few goes weren't quite so successful, but out of maybe 20 goes I've landed 5-6?

Toby

Got stabbing bird (think this is the right name?!) yesterday. Quite happy with that one.
SRC 2011 Moshi Kame Champion

MasterKatra42

Managed my first under stilts, in horrible lighting, in a crowded room, while slightly intoxicated.  Got the spike after it too!  Several witnesses applauded my efforts.  That trick sure is hard!  Much more awkward than regular stilts, which follows the basic airplane/lunar pull method.