News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Failed 6D on one trick by one miss. I'd've been pretty pleased with that a month ago. Today, I'm annoyed that it was Hanging Spike. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

... am still recovering from five weeks' working on an alpine goat farm. Got some really nice moves down in the cabin I was staying in though (not much to do in the evenings):

Clifftop
Swing-in Clifftop (not yet spiked though!)
Reverse Upside-down Jumping Stick (opposite rotation, ridiculously descriptive, non-snappy name)
Stopover > Lighthouse (anyone messed about with this? Kind of Big cup > Lighthouse, not as easy as it looks, needs loads of flip!)
Aeroplane > Corkscrew Build Lighthouse > Scoop Spike (continuous, inspired by Jeffrey)

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Stilts> Tap-on-the-spike Somersault In
That was a well earned cuppa.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Today I looked at prices of flights to Japan. Not looking tooooo bad...

Dimensions

Today I
Completed my 3rd Dan! (Self assessed, of course)

I started off with the moshikame, I did 684 clicks (strung)
Next up slip on stick - 1 miss
Then earth turn - 3 misses
After, falling down - 1 miss, annoyingly it was only on the lighthouse section
Then a perfect run of reverse swing in
After, a terrible run of around the cosmos - it took me 8 attempts for 3 successful runs
Next bird - missed my first attempt, had a perfect run for the next two, then ended the third on my 7th attempt
After that, it was my big throw back. Hanging spike, my nemesis![nb]i've always hated this trick[/nb] - a perfect run of two hanging spikes, then a big run of failure. I ended my run on the 10th attempt!
Then, jumping stick - took me 8 attempts, 3 of those where failed on aeroplane!
1-turn aeroplane - took me 3 attempts
1-turn lighthouse - my first attempt succeeded, but then I lost my concentration and it fell off in the 2nd still second. My second attempt worked though

I then had a big rest! I had dinner, during a mouthful of chicken casserole I rememberd, "Speed Trick B!"

Swing to candle - excellent, quick start as well
Around the prefecture - good
Around Japan X2 - good, could easily be faster
Around the world X2 - ^above
Around Europe - I missed the first spike twice! I then had a reasonably fast run
Earth turn - very fast!
Bird and in - missed the first and second attempt, then a rathe slow run
Jumping stick - 1 miss
1-turn aeroplane - 3 misses (but quick fails)
Falling down - medium speed

All in all 1:24 seconds!

At the BKO 2014 I hope to at least get my 2nd Dan!
Rob

Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

BKA

Rich

Today I...

Did some kendama with one of my Japanese students! It's always nice cos they don't usually know that it's popular outside Japan so it makes them very happy to see their teacher playing.

I'm yet to meet one who actually plays though so it makes me feel pretty good when they all tell me I play well cos they can only just big cup. xD

The Void

The Void

Cliffdama

thats one hell of a trick you did there void!

just landed 2 small lunar -> half side flip big lunars . took me a while to figure this trick out but this is something i need to start doing a lot. it looks great!

Cliffdama

Started my own 10/10 consistancy list today to find out wich tricks i really control. So far :

Small cup 10/10
Big cup 10/10
Base cup 10/10
Spike 10/10
Lighthouse 10/10
Swing in 10/10
Orbit 10/10
Lighthous -> falling down 8/10
Big bird 5/10
Jumping stick 6/10
Whirlwind spike 1/10 i suck at those.
Swing in lighthouse 4/10
Aeroplane 8/10

This is as far as i could go today since i have to work now . Long way to go and far from consistent!

BKA

Looking good for getting on the Dan table. How's your Moshi Kame?
http://www.kendama.co.uk/tricks.html

Cliffdama

Didn't do moshikame very much yet so don't know. I'm going to do some self grading tomorrow. If moshi kame will go well i cab get to pre dan i think :).

BKA

the milky oolong

Today I... should already be sleeping but had a niggling feeling that I'd not managed Everest with (Small Cup) Monkey's Chair > (Big Cup) Monkey's Chair, as good folks mentioned the Base Cup in the middle. Stopped tossing and turning, got out of bed and landed

(Big Cup) Monkey's Chair > Base Cup > (Small Cup) Monkey's Chair (yes, I'm a lefty), AKA (?) Everest.

Well done [user]Dimensions[/user], well done [user]Cliffdama[/user], well done [user]The Void[/user], was that 9/10 Clifftop or Slip Grip? Only caught the very end during a 'skimming' frenzy.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate