News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Clifftop

Started by fredCP, 10 July, 2014, 09:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

fredCP

Hi everyone,

A question about trick names : I know what Clifftop is, but what is the name of the similar trick when the string hole is facing downwards and you make a kind of Slip Grip Special on the Base Cup edge ?

Fred

The Void

It's still Clifftop, just a different way of getting into it.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

fredCP

Thanks, Void ! Speeking of Clifftop, I saw you (in Still seaking six) and Mr Jumpshoe in one of his edits, doing a Clifftop Nod Off and On, that's a great trick !

The Void

Thanks. That one took a while! :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Hey [user]fredCP[/user],

Try getting into Clifftop from a kind of Gunslinger position, index finger under the small cup, middle finger under the big cup (helps if you press your thumb against the spike to keep the ken straight) - from there you can flip to Small Bird, hop to Slip Grip, or just catch a low Turn In!
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

fredCP

That's a good idea to start with this grip, especially to get into a small bird. I'll give it a try, thank you  :)

AlexSmith

I like this trick a lot! Me and my friends always called it 'grip stall' - in retrospect I'm not really sure why. I guess it just rhymed with 'slip stall'?

Now I hear most people in N America refer to it as handle stall, cliff top doesn't seem to be as popular over here.

the milky oolong

Though I am sure The Void and BKA would like to keep things standardized for the purposes of the forum and I suppose for competitions, I think that's a pretty natural process. My Berlin players say '... Cup, Bird, Lighthouse, Spike (sometimes Stick), Lunar. Everything else is useless, even when I translate the difficult ones directly (try finding a good German translation for Beckoning Cat). Still, as long as everyone's clear on the standard names I think it can work just like formal and informal terms; your proper names for the comps, your slang names for your bros.

Watch me do a Klippe, or Cigar Balance, or Cliff Richard, or Lemming Stall, or whatever it's called, in ken grip:

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

AlexSmith

Quote from: the milky oolong on 30 July, 2014, 09:26:09
Though I am sure The Void and BKA would like to keep things standardized for the purposes of the forum and I suppose for competitions, I think that's a pretty natural process. My Berlin players say '... Cup, Bird, Lighthouse, Spike (sometimes Stick), Lunar. Everything else is useless, even when I translate the difficult ones directly (try finding a good German translation for Beckoning Cat). Still, as long as everyone's clear on the standard names I think it can work just like formal and informal terms; your proper names for the comps, your slang names for your bros.

Watch me do a Klippe, or Cigar Balance, or Cliff Richard, or Lemming Stall, or whatever it's called, in ken grip:

As long as you're communicating effectively with whomever you're speaking with, mission accomplished.

I do them normal (ken) grip a lot, but when I catch it the spike is facing away and to the right for me. I've always thought your way (spike straight away from you) looked really nice. Very delicate.