News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

[Review] Play (2013)

Started by The Void, 27 June, 2013, 15:23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourmik

Hello there!

I'm sorry for my bad English but I live in Switzerland and I only speak French... I'm Michael, I'm 24 and I like to try new things ;D

A friend of mine came back from a trip to Japan and brought me a kendama. I am a little fun with it and I love it! But this is just a cheap toy and I want to buy a new one, with better quality 8)

I will order from this site: http://kendama.de/play_kendama/index.php

After getting some information (this topic especially ;D), I was thinking of buying a kendama Play Pro 2014 ---> http://kendama.de/play_kendama/index.php?cPath=31
But I also hesitate with another brand which I have heard a lot about: Ozora ---> http://kendama.de/play_kendama/index.php?cPath=14

What about you? One better than the other?

Thank you in advance for your answers! :)

Michaël

The Void

Hi Michaël,
Welcome to the board.
There are lots of opinions - many people like the Ozora too. Either is fine. Toss a coin... Heads or tails... :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Both are my favourite kendama brands. Either one is a great choice.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Dimensions

I've found my Play to be a bit more durable than Ozoras. So if your a beginner and want one of the two I would go for a play and then an Ozora
But both are excellent kendamas

-Rob
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Fourmik

Thanky for the answers :D

I think i will take the Play at first. Now i must choose a color :P I will maybe pick the orange one, but the description isnt the same and it is not on the picture with all the other kendama in their boxes. Do you know if it's really a 2014? (It's not very important but i want just be sure ;D)

Thanks again!

Michaël

shalafi

Tip: Pick a light/bright color, it makes a difference when you do tricks where you want to see the hole.

I have a black kendama and those tricks are harder because of the color.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Fourmik

Do you think the orange is ight/bright enough to see the hole in good conditions?

(sorry for my stupid questions :-[)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Fourmik

I will order the orange or the white one!

Meanwhile, I continue to practice with my "toy" and i managed my first Around Japan... Little proress, but progress nonetheless :)

Bonus : picture of my actual "weapon of choice" ;D 150g, 90g for the tama and only 60g for the ken >_<

The Void

Ha, that's a special kendama. ;)
Cool keep it up, and don't forget to check out http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,905.0.html for beginner tips to get good form.
This is getting a little off-topic now...

Fourmik

Yep, i'm sorry! :-X

I'll give my beginner opinion about the Play pro 2014 when i receive it :)

HansNickmans

I got a Play 2013 last summer at EJC and recently I got a free Play Pro K from the local circus shop (for who we sell kendamas).

I loved both kendamas right out of the package. Great finish, well balanced and sturdy kendama.
The 2013 has been in my backpack and played with for over a year now, and I'm just now rediscovering it. The spike is a bit flattened (but hey, that happens) but it is very worn in about now. The tama is a bit heavier than my other kendamas (though not as heavy as my TK), which makes it my go-to kendama for birds/bats. I also landed my first (no string-hang) stilt on this kendama and being worn-in, it is becoming better and better for lunars. It is worth mentioning that it only has one chip at this point in the paint, all the rest is just wearing in beautifully. I have however been careful not to play over concrete or other paint-destroying surfaces.

And now the 2014! What a dream for a kendama. They took everything that I loved about the 2013 and improved on it. The tama is a bit lighter, but somehow it is a bird/bat magnet. I have been throwing this one around on concrete, gravel, etc.. but next to a couple of dents and dings it still looks amazing. The triple stripe is great for visibility and typhoon tricks (if you're into that stuff). The ken is also holding up beautifully. This has been my standard kendama for the last couple of months and it is seems virtually indestructible. The ken is a bit off balance for lunars, but I think that will come with playing.

So these have been my ramblings on the play kendama. I would recommend this kendama to everyone! Sturdy as a TK and plays like (or even better than) an oozora.

I'm very much looking forward to what Kendama Europe will produce in the future!

Now to get my hands on one of those Monster K's...
Kendama Belgium!