News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Baby dragon Kendama - First impressions

Started by kendamatty, 04 October, 2014, 21:11:27

Previous topic - Next topic

kendamatty

So I have a 12cm dark blue baby dragon kendama sitting on my shelf for some time now.  After some near misses involving a large window, I decided that regular kendamas can be a little dangerous to play indoors for some spacewalk tricks, so out came the baby dragon.

First impressions were that the spike was nice and sharp, so after the initial adjustment period (purely down to the size), around europe and aeroplane/jumping stick tricks were starting to get nice and fun/consistent!

After the ball had taken a little scuffing, light houses seemed to sit REALLY well.  It seemed that the combination of the chunky base cup and chunky sorado against the contrasting skinny ken when it nears the spike makes a solid balancer - the spike and the base cup seem to gravitate towards the ball when flipping!  This does make lunars seem quite flimsy with the pull up, but I have managed the odd one or two.

The spike has suffered some blunting, but I am not too fussed as the hole seems a little large to "overcompensate" a dulling spike.  This can make the ball not rotate off perfectly when performing earth turns (due to the wobble when the ball is on the spike), but I am not overly fussed.

As it rains ALOT here, so therefore I am certainly thinking a rainy day indoor edit coming along soon...

These things are great fun, although the trick scope becomes more limited as you have to be slightly more delicate with your touch, I recommend it fully for those indoor days playing around grandma's best china...

BKA

nils

Hello!

I am the proud owner of the purple baby featured in the video Void linked. I switched the normal string with another one. Really just something I found (okay, my mom gave it to me), BUT it really made the baby better because it's thinner. In my opinion, the original string is just too thick/stiff for the lightness of the baby, which in my experience resulted in 'bending' the earth turns etc.

Someone one also suggested trying a oozora string, which are a lot thinner/lighter than most other strings.

As much as I like the baby, I would really love it if someone made a 'true' mini. On the baby the tama hole is a bit too big, and the string too thick/stiff. Has anyone checked out the Play Pocket K yet?
Mr European Speed Trick Champion 2010! :D (as suggested by The Void)

the milky oolong

The Pocket K is a scale mini kendama - all proportions are relative, so no larger sarado/hole/etc. Had a quick play of one when [user]KendamaEurope[/user] was last in Berlin, didn't have enough time to form an opinion, though. As far as I know, they are the only anatomically correct minis.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Tortoise T8 is close. Slightly wider than scale Big and Small Cup edges.
Haven't tried or seen the Play Pocket.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

nils

So the hole in the ball of the Play Pocket K is smaller than the (oversized) hole on the Dragon Baby? Cool! Thanks milky :)

nils

Just got the Play Pocket K. IT'S TINY! Smaller than the baby dragon. I was really surprised. For reference, Pocket K big cup is exactly the same size as Baby's small cup.