News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Half-Swirl Aeroplane Tutorial (Was: VOTW 14-05-2012)

Started by The Void, 13 May, 2012, 19:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

KenSan

I've been trying these over the last couple of days and am starting to make some good progress. I had tried them earlier in the year and it was pretty ugly! :o

I was originally having trouble just making a decent catch of the tama, and hitting my finger in the right place, but have now got that part quite clean. I am finding though that the ken is getting quite wild when trying to land the aeroplane part. I guess this could be down to my release of the ken not being clean.

I did however find that when I swapped to a heavier Kendama that the ken became a bit more controlled. Would anyone else agree that a heavier ken would be preferred for this sort of trick, or just more practice with whichever kendama I happen to be holding?
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

The Void

Hard to know without seeing you try, but a clean release should be the key.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Totally agree with Void, and would add that during the learning process for me there was definitely a period of time when the ken was very out of control virtually all the time (no doubt due to a poor release). I think there's a thread from someone else on here from a while back saying the same thing.

Practice is the answer, the wobble will go.

Personally I prefer a heavier ken and swirls are certainly easier for me when infuse one.

Good luck!

KenSan

On further diagnosis and a few landings with my lighter ken, I noticed there were not enough knees involved (timing) and that when catching the tama, I was not moving my hand away sufficiently (there's a lot going on here actually) enough to avoid the ken coming back round, thus possibly clipping the string and flailing wildly.

Doesn't mean I've got, it but I'm getting it ;D
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!