News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

The ever popular "Today I..." thread

Started by BatDancer, 04 July, 2011, 21:24:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam K

Quote from: The Void on 07 September, 2011, 23:47:41
Quote from: Harrydh3 on 07 September, 2011, 19:33:15I was quite pleased to land: Pull up Nightingale---360 Nightingale---360 to Bird---360 bird :D
What are you calling "Nightingale"? As far as I was aware, that's just another translation of "Uguisu", ie Bird/Warbler/... Nightingale? I'm guessing you mean something else though?
I believe he is referring to small cup bird. I remember hearing matthew jorgensen from sweets kendamas refer to the trick as such.

Harrydh3

QuoteI believe he is referring to small cup bird

I am indeed.

AlexSmith

Little bird > nightingale.
As far as I knew it was a ball flip up to little bird that was being called nightingale in the US?
(would furiken little bird be a correct term for this? Or does furiken refer to a flip up to spike exclusively?)

BKA

furi=swing
ken= (to) spike

So furi-uguisu, maybe, or perhaps furiko uguisu?

Perhaps "Swing to small bird" is clearest? (Plus "small bird" is 2 syllables, "nightingale" is 3 :) . Then again, if "nightingale" includes the "swing to" bit....)

The Void

Got my first 2-turn lighthouse today. I guess that's what comes of practising the 5th Dan tricks alongside the 4th Dan ones. :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

... caught my first bird on a small cup. Now I did any trick on the Czech Kendama Open trick list at least once.
But I'm still lacking consistency. I can't get beyond Airplane in any real practice run (i.e. with three attempts).

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BatDancer

Quote from: LarsVegas on 09 September, 2011, 20:47:18
... caught my first bird on a small cup. Now I did any trick on the Czech Kendama Open trick list at least one.

excellent! That's quite an achievement!

Quote from: LarsVegas on 09 September, 2011, 20:47:18
But I'm still lacking consistency. I can't get beyond Airplane in any real practice run (i.e. with three attempts).

lars

Practice, practice, practice! And... MORE KNEES  ;D

The Void

Nah, it's not "practice", it's "regular practice!".
Practice the list at least once a day, Lars, and in a week or two, you'll definitely notice the difference. Plus, you've still got 2 months training time! :-)

But yeah, more knees!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 10 September, 2011, 13:07:09
Nah, it's not "practice", it's "regular practice!".
Practice the list at least once a day, Lars, and in a week or two, you'll definitely notice the difference.

I do, I do - I run through the list every evening, doing every trick 10 times. Besides I keep track how far I qualify by checking the first three attempts separately.
I started writing down the success rate in an Excel sheet - I like to get a visual reward by seeing the curves going (more or less) constantly up. Alas, they don't really do that.
And on the 7th you can see what beer does to my skills   :-[

EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

AlexSmith

haha thats a neat idea. Keep in mind you only have a week's worth of data or so, over time you will undoubtedly see improvement

The Void

Yesterday I managed to self-certify myself as 4th Dan.
Didn't feel the same sense of satisfaction as if it had been a real exam, but it's nice to know I've done it at least once. Now to get more consistent!

Adam K

Today (well, yesterday) I got

• Around the USA two times (not in a row)
  • Suicide Airplane to lighthouse
  • Airplane - build the lighouse - falling down - build the lighthouse. The celebratory dance was unparalleled

shalafi

Today I played a lot in Delft

I managed to do several suicide airplanes, one turn airplanes and swing lighthouse.

I almost managed to do pull-up gunslinger and faster than gravity lighthouse.

And had lots of fun.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Thorny

Well done Void on the self-certified 4th Dan. Self-approval is better than none, you know you've done it!

Yesterday I managed what I've dubbed as Around The Gunslinger/Shoot The World as well as another self-nicknamed trick: Earth Slinger.Around The Gunslinger is the same as Around The World... but you have a Gunslinger on the initial pull up small cup and then between each cup catch.I.E. Pull up GS to small cup, GS big cup, GS bottom cup, GS spike.
Quite proud of that :)
Earth Slinger is simply (in terms of theory,) an Earth Turn with a swift Gunslinger during the ball's 360.

AlexSmith

Earth Slinger... I like that. Thats kinda my go to trick lately, when I'm playing well I can actually hit it very consistently (maybe 60% of the time?). I never had a good name for it though. Usually just said 'fingerflip earthturn'

which finger do you spin it around? I usually use my middle finger, but I'm trying to break that habit and start using my index finger instead. Not much luck so far