News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

DANS!

Started by BKA, 12 August, 2011, 17:20:51

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Huge congratulations to the first European players to ever officially qualify as JKA Dan grades:
The Void - 3rd Dan
KendAlex - 1st Dan

Wow!

GbH

Wow, that's was a pretty unexpected development. 

I take it that getting 3rd Dan meant doing Speed Trick B in under 2 minutes?  If so, whilst under pressure, that seems quite an achievement.  I can't say I've tried it a whole lot, but my best time is only 2.28 and that was without anything to stress about.

Good job!

Mark

I havent tried speed trick b yet. Now im more consistant at bird, ill try a timed run. :-)
British STC: 2008 - 1st ....  2009 - 2nd ... 2011 - 4th
British Advanced Championship: 2011 - 4th

By markool89 at 2011-08-06

HansNickmans

Did anyone find out what the 'Freestyle tricks' for 1st dan mean? Not that I'm at that level, but I'm just curious
Kendama Belgium!

MasterKatra42

Ok, I understand the concept of getting tricks a number of times out of ten, but what is the testing format for getting a dan grade?  Also, what are the ranks? Does first dan mean you've tested the highest or you've just entered the dan ladder?  I just need a little light shed on this subject because my Japanese is a little non-existent.

BKA

The Void

Quote from: GbH on 12 August, 2011, 19:01:15
Wow, that's was a pretty unexpected development. 

I take it that getting 3rd Dan meant doing Speed Trick B in under 2 minutes?  If so, whilst under pressure, that seems quite an achievement.  I can't say I've tried it a whole lot, but my best time is only 2.28 and that was without anything to stress about.

Good job!

Thanks Guy. Yes, under 2 minutes. I managed 84 seconds.

Working on a write-up of the whole thing now.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Congratulations to Void and KendAlex!

However, how can you achieve a Dan? Do you have to be a JKA member? How's the examination going?
And what about the Kyus? I'd qualify at least for 10th Kyu.

So many questions, maybe someone could enlighten me ... I used to do Judo and the grade examination system was quite formal.

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

BKA

Quote from: HansNickmans on 13 August, 2011, 07:46:20
Did anyone find out what the 'Freestyle tricks' for 1st dan mean? Not that I'm at that level, but I'm just curious

This is something we forgot to ask about, but the new JKA website says "6 dan: Jiyu shumoku Instead of timed kyogi B, successfully demonstrate two waza of the technical level suitable for the 6 dan ranking. No time limitation. Up to 10 attempts are permitted to successfully perform each waza once."

AlexSmith

So my understanding of the Dan system was once you have your first Dan you must wait one year before attempting the secodlnd Dan, then once you have the second you must wait two years before attempting the third, etc. Is this true in any way?

And a congratulations to the Void and Supernog! I would love to try the Dan rankings out someday, though I'll need to practise my moshikame!

LarsVegas

Quote from: AlexSmith on 16 August, 2011, 19:10:37
So my understanding of the Dan system was once you have your first Dan you must wait one year before attempting the secodlnd Dan, then once you have the second you must wait two years before attempting the third, etc. Is this true in any way?

Fortunately not. To quote the new JKA regulations (i.e. the explanation for the Dan examinations):

Minimum time in rank before competing for next higher dan rank:

• 1 dan through 5 dan – at least one month
  • 6 dan and above – at least one year
That means you can get from pre-Dan to 5th Dan in half a year :-)

lars
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

The Void

Thanks all for your congratulations.

The exam worked like this:
Firstly, you attempted Moshi Kame. How far you got determined which grade you could potentially qualify for. (So for the Kyus or Jun-shodan, you would need 50, or 100). Then you attempted each of the compulsory tricks up to 10 times each, with your target number of successes being that of the highest grade you were trying for. If you did not achieve this for one of the tricks, your target grade would drop down to whatever was now still possible.

Example: Imelda tries Moshi kame, and her first run was her best, of 67. This means she can qualify as 1st Kyu maximum. She then starts trying the compulsory tricks in order (10 attempts each). She succeeds in getting 3 hits of each one (the maximum number required for any trick at this level), up to Aeroplane, but then she only manages 2 Swing Ins. This means she can now only get a maximum of 3rd Kyu. She continues with Around Japan, and gets the 1 hit she needed for 3rd Kyu. She then stops, as, at least for this exam, that's as far as she can go.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

I plan to go to the EJC in Poland next year, hopefully I'll be able to achieve at least 1st Dan!
I'd love to have a certificate that says I can play kendama rather well!  :P

AlexSmith

What was the cost to try for a Dan ranking? (if you don't mind my asking)

The Void

We were not charged anything. It was never mentioned. Another reason for us to be grateful for the visit of these 3 guys.

Perhaps there is a cost usually, but then again, perhaps that is covered by the JKA membership fee.