News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Sweets aTack vs Stain

Started by kiasam111, 03 October, 2014, 14:39:58

Previous topic - Next topic

kiasam111

I've been playing Kendama for about 6 months now, and I've had a Kendama Australia one (http://kendamaaustralia.com/kendama-shop/kendama-silve) that has seen through better days. The Ken is quite marked and has faded, and the tama paint is chipped. This does mean lighthouse tricks are easier, but I do need a new Kendama. Right now, I can do a lighthouse semi-regularly, and thats the next trick I want to master. I'll be using the Kendama Australia model when I try spacewalks!

I am looking at a few Kendamas right now:

What would everyone recommend? Have I missed somewhere that would be appropriate for me to look at? Is there a clear standout here? I'm looking at keeping it below $35 excluding shipping if possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The Void

Between those 3, I'd say it's purely down to aesthetics. Pic the one you like the look of best! :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

PikWik

if the choice is between those 3, ill give my impressions/suggestions.

focus crayon - these tamas are not painted by sweets and are very similar to a kendamaCo's zen paint. which is to say, its pretty slick out of the box and breaks in tacky in about 2 months of heavy play.

focus stain - similar to a natural kendama, these are in the middle between slick and sticky. these are also not painted by sweets, but the process to stain is something anyone could do, and doesnt require professional work. i personally would prefer this 'series' if i was getting a sweets.

focus rasta - aTack tama with a rasta theme. these are going to be that sticky paint that will help land harder balance tricks. rastas are cooool.

kenUSA paduak proto - this is the kendama you want from KenUSA. this is a limited edition paduak promo that you can get for way cheaper than what they will go for. the natural color of this wood is just beautiful.

of those, i would get the paduak proto :)

kiasam111

Quote from: PikWik on 04 October, 2014, 00:14:58
if the choice is between those 3, ill give my impressions/suggestions.

focus crayon - these tamas are not painted by sweets and are very similar to a kendamaCo's zen paint. which is to say, its pretty slick out of the box and breaks in tacky in about 2 months of heavy play.

focus stain - similar to a natural kendama, these are in the middle between slick and sticky. these are also not painted by sweets, but the process to stain is something anyone could do, and doesnt require professional work. i personally would prefer this 'series' if i was getting a sweets.

focus rasta - aTack tama with a rasta theme. these are going to be that sticky paint that will help land harder balance tricks. rastas are cooool.

kenUSA paduak proto - this is the kendama you want from KenUSA. this is a limited edition paduak promo that you can get for way cheaper than what they will go for. the natural color of this wood is just beautiful.

of those, i would get the paduak proto :)

Thanks for the advice =) In regards to the Focus Crayon, is that a good kendama to get for balance tricks? Otherwise, would the rasta be better for that? I quite like the look of the Padauk Protos, so I may end up on buying two  ;)

@Void, in terms of the aesthetics, I'll have to do some thinking - great advice!

PikWik

Quote from: kiasam111 on 04 October, 2014, 01:16:03

Thanks for the advice =) In regards to the Focus Crayon, is that a good kendama to get for balance tricks? Otherwise, would the rasta be better for that? I quite like the look of the Padauk Protos, so I may end up on buying two  ;)

the focus crayon will be 'slippy' out of the package. however, the rasta will be tacky enough for lunars/lighthouses right away.

the paduak wood is softer than maple/keyaki/bamboo hardwood, but on par with beechwood kendamas. the lure with the paduak is the amazing color change that gradually shifts thru ought play. it goes from an orange to red to red/purple to blood red. hard to describe unless you play one.

kiasam111

@PikWik - Submitted an order for 3 kendamas from Kendama USA - Padauk Proto (taking your word on that one), Sunrise Orange (did some research, seems to be a grippy kendama and looks quite nice) and Green Mini Tribute (thrown in for free on Cyber Monday sales - $20 value!!). I'll let you know what I think! =D