News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

'One Shot' Kendama Challenge.

Started by Kev, 01 May, 2013, 13:01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

Thanks BKA -

I think we are agreed on the early stages then. . . let's lock these in as 'official':

Quote from: BKA on 09 May, 2013, 19:53:32
Kyu Tricks
50 Moshi Kame
Pre-Dan Tricks
100 Moshi Kame

Now we have to sort out the Dan tricks as you say:

Quote from: BKA on 09 May, 2013, 19:53:32
But now suppose you fail on 1-Turn Aeroplane... are you "1-Shot 1st Dan" or 2nd? This would require a Moshi run to settle it.
And if you failed on Slip Grip Special, but managed a final Moshi run of 1000, you'd still need an STB run to decide if you were 1-shot 3rd or 4th.
....?

I think your suggestion would work well but might need some clarification / spelling out - maybe we could produce a clear checklist when we've got it decided?

The only alternative which I think is the easier (for me at least) to follow (but I guess also the hardest to do) is that after steaming through the Kyu & Pre-Dan as above:

To get 1st Dan One Shot, you'd run though the sequence from Around the World to Jumping Stick then do the Moshi (x200).

Then:

To achieve 2nd Dan One shot you'd have to run Around the World to Jumping Stick AGAIN, then manage Moshi (x300).

For 3rd Dan One shot you'd then follow the Slip-on Stick to 1-turn lighthouse + STB in 120s and Moshi Kame (x500).

For 4th Dan One shot you'd then follow the Slip-on Stick to 1-turn lighthouse AGAIN + STB in 60s and 1000 x Moshi Kame.

For 5th Dan One shot you'd then follow the Around the Cosmos to 2-turn lighthouse + STB in 45s.

For 6th Dan - no idea! :)

Although I'm way off achieving this yet I like the idea that One Shot has the potential to show ultimate mastery in some respects - so it needs to be hard but as you say, it needs to be fun too!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are suggesting this might be too hard or repetitive? Is it the 'AGAIN' part you might have an issue with? and would you prefer to find a way to simply to do each trick once?

What do you think?

Waylon

Perhaps you could just provide two categories for the achievement. One with all the Moshi Kame and one with reduced MK.  That way, there are two routes. You could even give them cool names like One Shot Pure and One Shot RMK.

The Void

To be honest, I'd be more likely to be bothered to try it if it was just as simple/quick as possible. So
Kyu Tricks
Pre-Dan Tricks [If you fail at a Pre-Dan trick, then do 50 Moshi]
100 Moshi Kame if you passed all Pre-Dan tricks.
All Dan compulsory single tricks

Of course, that means you'd only be able to declare yourself "1st/2nd One-shot Dan", or 3rd/4th, or 5th/6th, but there you go.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

On those rules, just failed on 2-Turn LH.
= 1-shot 3rd/4th Dan.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kev

Quote from: The Void on 10 May, 2013, 17:07:57
To be honest, I'd be more likely to be bothered to try it if it was just as simple/quick as possible.

^I agree, simplicity is key. I really think we're getting somewhere here guys, thanks for the input!

Can I suggest a slight tweak to [user]The Void[/user]'s suggestion which would enable a nicer way to "grade" yourself IMHO:

So, as Void says:

Kyu Tricks
Pre-Dan Tricks [If you fail at a Pre-Dan trick, then do 50 Moshi]
100 Moshi Kame if you passed all Pre-Dan tricks.

BUT THEN:

(As far as I understand, the Dan single tricks repeat (1+2, 3+4, 5+6)) -

So, I suggest -

To get 1-shot 1st Dan you do = Around the World / Lighthouse / Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick x1

To get 1-shot 2nd Dan you do it again (so in total you'd have done it twice)

For 1-Shot 3rd Dan you'd do:

Slip-on-stick / Earth Turn / Falling Down / Reverse Swing In / Around the Cosmos / Bird / Hanging Pull-up-in / Jumping Stick / 1-turn Aeroplane / 1-turn Lighthouse. x1

For 4th Dan you'd do it again (so in total you'd have done it X2 as before)

See what I mean? Do you think that works better?

As far as I can see that means you can then "grade" yourself any level of 1-Shot Dan from 1st to 6th?

What say you peeps?

PS - not sure how the Speed Trick fits in - maybe you just do them / don't do them? Or use them to settle a draw?

PPS - Void - so that would make your latest attempt a One Shot 4th Dan.

Kev

OK if no one has any objections I'd like to make the above the 'official' rules for doing the One Shot Challenge.

Any final thoughts or comments?

I'll leave this open until the weekend then if we're all agreed I suggest we delete this thread and begin a new one with the rules clearly stated at the top - would that be cool with you [user]BKA[/user] / other forum mods?

BKA

No need to delete, just edit the first post in the thread with the amended rules.

emagdnim

I am quite happy I stranded at Lighthouse.

Landed Lighthouse after 4 try's (witch I am still pretty happy about, because I learned lighthouse 3 days ago)

Kev

Well done [user]emagdnim[/user]! Great achievement :)

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE:

The 'Official' rules of One Shot have now been updated.

(See http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1055.0.html for details)

Let's start seeing some scores . . . AND . . .WHO will be the FIRST One Shot Master???

The Void

Quote from: Kev on 10 May, 2013, 19:35:42PPS - Void - so that would make your latest attempt a One Shot 4th Dan.
Re-visiting this thread, I'd say, no it would be One Shot 1st Dan, as I did not do the second run though at the time.

Kev

Been a while since I've tried this, came to mind as I was suggesting [user]@Dimensions[/user] had a shot earlier as he's looking for a new challenge.

It is hard, which seems to put people off but I reckon that's part of the fun! Now I've upped my game since my original best effort I'm going to try to beat my 1-shot Kyu 1 soon.

Anyone else up for it?