News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

SCOTTISH JAM: 25th - 26th November

Started by paulsayer, 01 November, 2017, 11:14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

paulsayer

Hey everyone, I'm organising a dama event here in Glasgow. ALL INFO ON THE FACEBOOK EVENT  8) >>> https://www.facebook.com/events/323718631436407/

Thanks all
Paul

IG: @paul.slayer

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

paulsayer

@The Void yes there's a parking lot opposite the building we'll be in.  :)

The Void

@paulsayer Cool. I was googling it, and found it on Parkopedia https://www.parkopedia.mobi/parking/locations/water_row_gcuvvctg28n/?country=uk&arriving=201711251000&leaving=201711262030 , but that map also shows "Govan Saturday Market", which one reviewer says is "every Saturday of the year", so it might be closed on the Saturday? Hmmm, well, I'm sure there are options...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

paulsayer

@The Void definitely options man, would be amazing to have you there!

donald grant

Free that weekend at the moment, so yep, count me in!

The Void

The Void

Paul said "We are meeting at George Square at 1pm on the 25th, then heading to GTAC in Govan (just across the river) for around 3-4pm. "
I don't know Sunday times yet... ?

The Void

Lots of lovely times and details are on the FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/323718631436407/?active_tab=about

I will do Dan gradings tests on Sunday, if anyone is interested.

The Void

The Void

NEW MEETING POINT!
George Square will be packed, so we're meeting at Rotten Row Gardens.
(GTAC venue remains the same.)

donald grant

Cheers for a great weekend, guys (with a warm venue to boot! :) )  Hope I can make it for the next one, all the best, D

The Void

1062 miles later.... Just got home. Phew. Will write more in a while, but meantime - cheers everyone, it was fun!

The Void

Drove up on the Friday, to Donald's place in deepest Fife. Bit of a traffic delay on an already long journey, so was pretty knackered by the end. Enough time to sit, eat, relax and catch up on chat before crashing out.
Back into the car on Saturday morning and across to Glasgow. Got there about 11.30 to unload gear into the room, then down to meet Paul and Iain in a coffee shop. Nice flat white. After some nattering, we headed off to Rotten Row Gardens for the "public meet" for a couple of hours. Stewart, Ewan and Kieran joined us, the former with his nice camera rig all ready for shooting. General playing around for a while in the cold, got a few passers-by to have a go, and generally had a nice relaxed time clicking away at various stuff.

Then it was back on the subway to GTAC in Govan, and into the warm!

I set my stall up. A nice chill-out area in the corner, with comfy chairs, so after warming up, I sat and lunched for a bit. Time for some clicking. A general session of jamming got under way, as some more people trickled in. After a while, we had a good-sized crowd for the space. There were some games - Unicorns, Candle conkers, and Lighthouse battle. Then it was time for a 7-To-Spike, and 8 (I think) players decided to have a go, with skills from almost complete beginners, to very old hands. The position of King swapped around several times, and by the time it was all over, I think everyone had scored a point, and there must have been 2 or 3 people on 4,5 or 6 points. So I didn't mind winning it. :-) I got a Bahama kendama (my first), and a mini, and an origami kendama, which I promptly gave away again.

Then it was time for some more general jamming, an individual film-a-trick session, and - an excellent idea - pizza ordering. Ewan hit a trick that we'd been trying in the park earlier - Hanging Reverse 1-Turn Bird - and after me teasing him about his fingers-in-cups catch, did it again cleaner just to shut me up. :) Well done mate. After dinner, 10 folks signed up for the KEN tournament. 5 winners went through, and one (random?) non-winner was picked back in to make 3 quarter finals. A non-winner then got put back in for 2 semi-finals. The finalist ended up being Alistair and Paul, but things were put on hold for the night there. There must have been about 20 people turn up at some point through the day, so a pretty decent turnout for a first event.

While most of the local gang were crashing overnight in the venue, Donald and I headed off to stay with a friend - Arron, an ex-kendama player, but TeamKD forever! - in his & Lauren's nearby flat. A fun evening's jabbering away amongst old friends, and comfy beds for we two old men too. A good night's sleep was just the ticket. After coffee and breakfast, we headed back over to GTAC in late morning to say hello to everyone again. Numbers were down to the harder core on Sunday - maybe 8 or so? After a bit of warming up, we had the business of the final of the KEN tourney to conclude. Paul came away with it. After a little while, Donald and I ran grading exams for those who wanted to try. Kieran, Iain and Paul were up for it, and all did pretty well. I & P had obviously paid heed to me telling them "Practice Moshi Kame!", as they both coped with that incredibly well. Nice one guys.

By now time had run in to the general circus skills meeting, so the kendama side of things was winding down. Local lad Gregor returned for a second taste of the scene, and had obviously been practicing his Lighthouses overnight, as he got one when I was watching. Time for a group photo (should have remembered to take one yesterday - d'oh!) before Donald and I headed back to his place.

Nice one, SoundKendama, a fun and (I'd say) successful first event. *hat tip*

Back in the sunny East Neuk, there was time for a great meal with Donald, Susan and Harry, and good conversation to wind the day down. More sleep, before another epic drive home. Got home eventually, absolutely knackered, but glad that I made the effort to trek on up there. I look forward to seeing what pics and video comes out.

Pics to come!

@paulsayer @I.A.M @Acmuirhead @SakuraSlayer @donald grant @fiddletriks

The Void

Here are my photos:

***NO RE-UPLOADS PLEASE***
Share page URLs, not images, thanks.
Click pic for gallery.

***NO RE-UPLOADS PLEASE***