News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself!

Started by BKA, 24 June, 2011, 15:09:04

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

Welcome, @spadgy , good to have you aboard. Sounds like you're defining adulthood just fine. Congrats on the book! And much respect for your RNLI work.

spadgy

Thanks so much! To clarify on the RNLI launcher work, here at Hastings, we have dozens of meters of stony beach to get the boat over. Me being launch crew, rather than boat crew, means I'm in the team that get the boat in and out the water come an emergency. So lots of cables, mechanisms, driving semi aquatic tracked vehicles etc. Important, but not bravery at sea from me! Maybe one day!

johndmc

Quote from: spadgy on 16 August, 2017, 19:26:17
Hey all. Great to be here.

Like many Kendama players, I sense, I'm a devoted yo-yoer who long eyed kendama and thought 'can it really give me what yo-yos do?'.

Then, when spotting a reduced Royal at the Yoyovillage store at this year's UK Yo-Yo Nationals, I thought I should find out. I was instantly infatuated, and while I still love yo-yos, what I get from Kendama is so much more meditative, chill and distinct. I'm now a man obsessed.

Other than that, I work as a video games journalist here in the UK full time and now do all sorts else in the games industry (awards judging, game script editing, research, event production, speaking, blah blah). I also do a bit of writing about LEGO and board games for various places (yep, that's really part of how I make a living), still skateboard badly at 37, am wildly obsessed with arcade gaming (actually at arcades), and I guess as I just had my first book out (about Raspberry Pi) that makes me an 'author'... but I don't feel good enough at that yet to throw that word around! Oh - and I'm RNLI volunteer launch crew down where I live in Hastings.

So, basically, crap at accepting adulthood, and nearly 40!

Hey there! [emoji5]

Welcome, and glad to see another mid thirtyer not accepting their adulthood like me [emoji23]
I'm in Maidstone and meet up with a load of dama players Ashford way regularly , so feel free to come along at some point for a jam nigh. If you are on Facebook follow the ukkc UK kendama community group and Ben posts the meet up sessions on there.

Regards

John

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

BKA

The Void

Quote from: spadgy on 16 August, 2017, 19:51:28
Thanks so much! To clarify on the RNLI launcher work, here at Hastings, we have dozens of meters of stony beach to get the boat over. Me being launch crew, rather than boat crew, means I'm in the team that get the boat in and out the water come an emergency. So lots of cables, mechanisms, driving semi aquatic tracked vehicles etc. Important, but not bravery at sea from me! Maybe one day!
I'm actually watching a docu on BBC2 on RNLI right now.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

Quote from: spadgy on 16 August, 2017, 19:26:17
Hey all. Great to be here.

Like many Kendama players, I sense, I'm a devoted yo-yoer who long eyed kendama and thought 'can it really give me what yo-yos do?'.

Then, when spotting a reduced Royal at the Yoyovillage store at this year's UK Yo-Yo Nationals, I thought I should find out. I was instantly infatuated, and while I still love yo-yos, what I get from Kendama is so much more meditative, chill and distinct. I'm now a man obsessed.

Other than that, I work as a video games journalist here in the UK full time and now do all sorts else in the games industry (awards judging, game script editing, research, event production, speaking, blah blah). I also do a bit of writing about LEGO and board games for various places (yep, that's really part of how I make a living), still skateboard badly at 37, am wildly obsessed with arcade gaming (actually at arcades), and I guess as I just had my first book out (about Raspberry Pi) that makes me an 'author'... but I don't feel good enough at that yet to throw that word around! Oh - and I'm RNLI volunteer launch crew down where I live in Hastings.

So, basically, crap at accepting adulthood, and nearly 40!
I think we share too many hobbies, check out this piece I wrote a while ago, it combines game design / analysis and Kendama: http://www.plattysoft.com/2016/09/14/kendama-a-game-analysis/

Other than that, turning 40 is not that bad :)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

spadgy

Quote from: shalafi on 16 August, 2017, 21:02:15

I think we share too many hobbies, check out this piece I wrote a while ago, it combines game design / analysis and Kendama: http://www.plattysoft.com/2016/09/14/kendama-a-game-analysis/

Great piece - really interesting read. I wonder if we've even met, or communicated online through the games industry. I ask because my 'specialty within a specialty' is that I do a lot of writing for publications written for game developers and the industry. I used to editor of Develop, which you might know, and now contribute as a freelancer to Develop, GamesIndustry.biz, PocketGamer.biz etc. So I'm always writing about game design, middleware, industry trends, creativity, the business side of games, studios etc... for an industry readership. I make it to conferences like various GDCs, Develop Brighton, and similar events around Europe and the US. Maybe we've met at some industry thing!

shalafi

Quote from: spadgy on 18 August, 2017, 19:03:26
Quote from: shalafi on 16 August, 2017, 21:02:15

Great piece - really interesting read. I wonder if we've even met, or communicated online through the games industry. I ask because my 'specialty within a specialty' is that I do a lot of writing for publications written for game developers and the industry. I used to editor of Develop, which you might know, and now contribute as a freelancer to Develop, GamesIndustry.biz, PocketGamer.biz etc. So I'm always writing about game design, middleware, industry trends, creativity, the business side of games, studios etc... for an industry readership. I make it to conferences like various GDCs, Develop Brighton, and similar events around Europe and the US. Maybe we've met at some industry thing!
We may have indeed. I've attended several GDCs, and several pocket gamer parties :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Aura Kendama

Hi Everyone

We started a while ago making Custom hand painted Kendamas. The initial batch was a nice takeup from the Kendama community
Since then we have made and designed our own Kendamas - called Aura Kendama - we created a classic shape with slightly deeper cups
and they  play very well as an all round Kendama.
Good for Stall tricks and lunar balance is ok also..
We now also offer more variety for customers bringing in Krom, Sweets Kendama and Kendama USA into the online store.

Any questions feel free to ask

www.AuraKendama.com

Follow us on Instagram: Aura_ken_dama

Unichuck1

Quote from: Aura Kendama on 03 September, 2017, 14:08:22
Hi Everyone

We started a while ago making Custom hand painted Kendamas. The initial batch was a nice takeup from the Kendama community
Since then we have made and designed our own Kendamas - called Aura Kendama - we created a classic shape with slightly deeper cups
and they  play very well as an all round Kendama.
Good for Stall tricks and lunar balance is ok also..
We now also offer more variety for customers bringing in Krom, Sweets Kendama and Kendama USA into the online store.

Any questions feel free to ask

www.AuraKendama.com

Follow us on Instagram: Aura_ken_dama
Well your the first company I have seen with GBP defo getting my next one off you guys

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

splintaz

Been Playing Kendama about 6-8 months - Hastings UK. if you wanna link and level up - hit me up.

The Void

Hi @splintaz , welcome to the forum! I see from your map pin that you're just off the coast of Hastings. Doesn't that make Scoop Up tricks awkward? 😅
Hope to catch up and jam with you sometime.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Kendama London

Hey Everyone!

It's Matt from Kendama London here :)

We are a UK based Online store selling premium Kendamas from around the world.

Established early 2018, we just love sharing the love! So check us out when you can <3

I've personally been playing Kendama for around 2-3 years now and for me it's such a refreshing form of meditation. Love the community and love the good vibes!

Hope to connect with you all soon  :)

https://www.kendamalondon.com

Instagram @kendamalondon
<3

The Void

twohands

Hi everybody,

I'm Anita, located in Germany at the moment, where I get to know my first kendamas - like new friends in all of this loneliness. 

In a shop for juggling toys a video was shown to me - and it was clear, what I'll work out for the rest of my life, at least: as long as I can.

I'm 41 years old now. Granny later will be able to juggle the kendama with both hands.
She will even know how to impressingly make gravity visible with two kens, one tama and no string...

But we started very slowly, of course, my little dog and me.
Whenever we go for our walk, I keep on playing, while he is doing what dogs usually do... left hand, right hand...

It is simply the best juggling game, I'd say.

It makes you elegant, and it is increasing logical intelligence.

First I ordered three used kendamas second hand, really already quite ugly but cheap ones, with bad strings and without bearings.

Then, in a martial attack of artistic inspiration, I took some holographic foils, glue, brushes and colours, to recycle these old toys a bit.

Now I have three really inspiring holographic kendamas with kind of "Klimt" (you know Gustav Klimt?) tamas, performing a rainbow by breaking the sunlight within the pieces of the holo-foil fixed onto the tama...a spirit chaser... nah,  a spirit-freeer, so to speak... they leave through a rainbow, as some of you might already know...the holo-foil lets appear one... I rather watch this glimmering bowl than these darkened witches and wizards around here... in the forthcoming desert...

Great for the mind, I can tell you.

I'm a convinced asket living entirely without drugs, coffee, alcohol or cigarrettes... and this is giving really a good working peace now...my artwork is the only drug I still have... 

I bought bearings and now enjoy the difference, while I'm slowly getting how to spike the bowl as perfectly as I already catch it with the cups or with other parts of the ken...kind of swinging...

My three "industrials" don't mind falling onto the hard floor, they look intentionally designed as if they were used anyway (painted 4 times with one colour over the other, crackled, plus gold, copper and silver)...and they do have really much grip, so they are perfect to slowly prepare for playing with an expensive one later.

I do not go for competitions or official degrees. And I'll never be the speed queen.

Twohands is a snail...

Unfortunately I cannot simply travel to meetings or events.

But I plan to teach the kendama to an SOS-childrens' village... after I have left Germany.

Nice to meet you here - for lonely people like me internet is a perfect crowdy place, and the only one near.

Let me read your discussions first, while I screw up my basical skills on both hands until I it feels most natural to be able to do all of these moves...glimmers and sounds...

:-)

try, try, try