News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

GLOKEN World Rankings

Started by Dimensions, 09 April, 2016, 16:02:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimensions

So this is now a thing
http://www.gloken.net/en/world-kendama-ranking/

And at a glance, I thought this was completely wrong, with them only using Japanese and American competitions. But if you delve in to it, what they're doing makes sense.

First off, the WKO as a class C event. No. I'm pretty sure that Sakura Ono is a better player than I, but we both have a joint world ranking. The WKO is only a C event, simply because few pro players competed, but that doesn't mean that the winners aren't damn good.

But the use of taking big events and 'sanctioning' them for this list with GLOKEN, I think is a good idea. But calling it a World Ranking, in my opinion is not true.
There are no European competition (except for the EKO) which can leave a gap (it is a world ranking after all), what about Spikedama or Jakub's Prague battles, or the BKO? But I guess their idea of including video competitions is a good way to include international players without a local competition.

But that all saying, I do support this if it will include more European and Asian competitions, I guess all we need to do is contact them and ask.

So what do you think?
-Rob

Oh, can we also try and get Royal considered as a 'Pro team' :)
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

shalafi

It's something I've thought about for a while myself. Magic the gathering, chess, tennis and other sports have similar structures.

It's tricky to be done properly, but as long as there's a week to do it right it can evolve over time.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

shalafi

Found it, this was my original idea, more like chess: http://kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2324.0.html

The system for gloken is more like Tennis, where each event has a ranking and people just collect points over the year by getting on top positions.

TBH, I find it very skewed, having something like the number of Pro Teams or Pro Players attending as a qualifier for the tournament is not really fair, since there is no real "measure" about what a Pro Team or a Pro Player is.

I think it is good to aim to have a worldwide ranking, but I think this one needs massive work to be accurate.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

I agree with a lot of what has been written here already.

Rob, Royalists did not officially exist when those competitions were held.

World Open should be higher rated, yes.
Video comps included? Hmmmm.... not sure.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KenSan

Curious as to whether anyone contacted Gloken about this regarding Royal Kendama, Spikedama(that Gloken players attended) and the BKO (the Wimbledon of Kendama comps :) )? @Dimensions @BKA
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

BKA