News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

'The' Japanese Book...

Started by the milky oolong, 20 December, 2012, 11:27:39

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

Hello all. I've been recently trying to take a peek at some of the more uncommon tricks, ones that I feel I haven't yet seen performed, at least by name. It might just be me (probably), has anyone else seen a Sisyphus, an Everest, Build the Lighthouse, Clifftop, Dead Drop, or any such named tricks in the BKA 100 list? If so, let me know where, and I'll be a very happy boy.

I've tried typing the Kanji names into Youtube but I think I'm doing something wrong, which is not unlikely considering my complete ignorance of Kanji. Is there a reason why I've only ever seen these tricks listed by name, and never had the pleasure of seeing them landed in an Edit? Is the only way to become privy to their secrets to bite the bullet, and to buy 'The' Japanese Book?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA

There's the English books and KendamApp too, which have a fair bit of crossover, including the first 4 of the ones you mention.

HansNickmans

Adding 'kendama' to the Kanji signs in youtube sometimes helps. I ran down the list a couple of times and found most of them. Some of the trick names (like clifftop for example) give other videos when searching for just that word in Kanji. 

When looking for new or harder tricks it pays off to go through some of the channels of the Japanese players that come up. Or just watch 'extreme kendama' and 'freedom kendama'..

And I second the English books, they are great. Especially 'Knees' if you're looking for the more advanced tricks..
Kendama Belgium!

the milky oolong

Thanks for the advice, guys. As Kendama UK aren't yet shipping overseas, I won't be able to get hold of 'Knees', I don't think, unless I can find it on the online marketplace. I have been watching 'Freedom Kendama', thanks to your advice. Amazing stuff, but obviously will have to wait until I can get hold of 'The Book' or 'Knees' until I can work out which trick is which, as the videos aren't annotated. Appreciate the help on this subject.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

BKA