News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Moving the tama

Started by Misterwhang, 05 May, 2013, 07:02:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Misterwhang

When I practice sekai isshu many times I move around the tama so the hole is in my desired position, is that ok to do? or should I be able to spike it no matter the tama positioning? Beginner's post  :P

br4d24

like you move it with your hand before spiking? That is not allowed.

If you mean you kinda shuffle the ball without touching it to make a better spike position, then that is kinda just bad looking. if the tama comes off the ken then it kinda is considered another move.

once you get good at juggling the ball you will be able to make slight movements when you launch the ball between cups so that the hole is in a good position. 

happygoat

You should be able to spike it no matter what the tama hole position is, but this will come with practise. Instead my advice is that you should try and control the hole position of the tama, so that it will be in the desired position when you are ready to spike.

You might wanna do a search for "hole control" in this forum.

Misterwhang

Well I pull the string to make the hole face me and I do occasionally rotate the tama. I will start practicing hole placement! Thank you for the replies!

HansNickmans

I tried searching for the ideal position of the hole for spiking it after the base cup. Then I tried to see in what position it had to come from the small and big cup to get into that ideal position. While practicing this you gain experience in putting the tama exactly where you want to, which in the end helps when it's not in the ideal position after a combo of tricks.

Don't know if it helps, but that's how I learned to control the tama.

And as a wise man once said: "It's all about hole control"
Kendama Belgium!

Misterwhang

I have been practicing hole control and it has helped me a bunch. Your advice was great! I just need to work on getting the spike every time.