News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Problem controlling ken in Spacewalk (Suicide Aeroplane)

Started by happygoat, 11 July, 2013, 10:42:38

Previous topic - Next topic

happygoat

In my play so far I haven't focused much on all the air tricks, but I have started practising Spacewalk over the last few days. I have watched the very good tutorial made by [user]KendAlex[/user], but I have only landed one legit Spacewalk so far.  :-\

My main problem is to control the ken after I have grabbed the tama in the air. When I watch KendAlex do it and others, they seem to have complete control over the ken after they have grabbed the tama, and the ken has a nice smooth flow through the air. My problem is that the ken make spins, the spike points in all kinds of directions but not down, and does not have a smooth flow through the air, after I have grabbed the tama.

Can anyone recognize these problems? Ideas how to improve?

The Void

So, the ken is flying smoothly before you catch it, and wobbly after you catch it?
Seriously, you really have all the information that you need to self-diagnose!

Quotehave grabbed the tama... I have grabbed the tama.
Don't grab, catch.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

happygoat

Yes, I catch the tama  ;) (English is not my native language)

I practised more yesterday, and I think the problem partly has something to due with the speed with which I start the spacewalk....maybe i'll post a video and hopefully get some input from that...

the milky oolong

I don't think it's a language correction that Void's attempting here; the point at which you catch the tama is absolutely crucial in Spacewalks, and I believe your problem is merely this:
QuoteI have started practising Spacewalk over the last few days

When you begin practicing the Spacewalk, the whole technique is foreign (providing you've not been experimenting with complicated Swaps already): you have to concentrate on the swing, the release, the catch, the amount of 'tug' or pull you give to the tama to make the ken line up, sighting the catch, oh, and, KNEES! You can't really be expected to get all of these down over a few days. Just keep practising, and remember a few things:

The direction of the big/small cups at take-off is pretty important to the direction the ken will be pointing for landing.

The ken remains stable in flight only when there is enough tension on the string. Concentrate on a smooth and confident release.

The more smoothly you can catch the tama, the less turbulence you'll give your still-rising ken. Be aware of how you catch.

On a smooth catch, bend your knees and apply a bit of tension by pulling with the tama: you can take a lot of problematic spin out of the ken's flight if this way.

Just keep hammering away at it, you'll get it soon enough.

Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

Misterwhang

I havent really mastered spacewalk/suicide techniques yet but "catching" the ball vs "grabbing" the ball is very different. Once you catch the ball you have to slow the momentum by dipping your hand/knees down to make that "u" shape...and then its like a regular airplane from there.. Oh I have also been having a hard time with this trick so I started to try to master mini spacewalk first :) (not sure if I am explaining correctly)

happygoat

Thanks for all your input guys! And you are right - spacewalks and all these kind of tricks are pretty foreign for me!!

I'll just practise some more! :-)

PikWik

@happygoat - same here. ive not messed with spacewalk tricks yet. my brother, on the other hand, picked up the movements quickly and can get some decent combos. but everytime i try a spacewalk i throw my KD across the room :(