News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Mugen Musou (Public availability)

Started by BKA, 24 October, 2013, 16:51:43

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

More innovation, and new colours. Click for the full story.

http://www.gloken.net/gloken-en/new-mugen-project/public-release/

New holsters too. Coo.

mreasyguy

Them replaceable tips are an idea I really like but i'm guessing it's not going to be to everyone's taste, depends what they are made of really.

Holsters look good but wow $149 for the top end one  :o

Will be getting both just so i can play one as my earth blue has stayed in it's box since I've had it!

Dimensions

WANT!
Will they be approved? - or will time only tell?
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

At least you've held your EB, mreasyguy - I've got to wait until xmas to unwrap mine!

Not sure what I think about the plastic tip. I like the fact that kendamas are just wood and string, plus a bit of paint. Now this one's metal and plastic too? Hmmm. And I continue to be amazed that holsters keep being designed that don't protect the kendama.

That Snow Gold is lovely though.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AlexSmith

Replacement tips? Hmm I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I'm sure the durability is a welcome change, and the coloured tips being easier to spot is also nice, but I worry that the plastic tip will beat up the tama more than normal.

Please note though - the sparkling green is the best colour I've ever seen. We saw some sneak peak while in Japan, and it's absolutely stunning. Video does NOT do it justice.

kendamski

Any ideas or knowledge of what the paint is like? It looked rather slick from my opinion, but it is impossible to tell from a video.

Kendama+cliniK

The plastic spike seems to stick to the tama for birds, stilts, etc. I can only assume, but with wear and tear, couldn't that also get in the way of those same tricks though? ( I'm a broke ninja, making it harder to purchase replacements let alone the Kendama itself.)

Knowing from personal experience, if you super glue the tip with too much glue it tends to catch and stuff. I'm excited, don't get me wrong I want one, but it's a curious concern of mine.

I have yet to experience the beauty of an original Mugen... As much as they are going for it even adds more allure to the subject.
Kendama+cliniK

Evolderek

so for the Kendama and a replacement tip set its about $110 plus shipping. I have money set aside for a Terra Purple heart Kendama if I ever see one, but this looks great. may have to dip in and score one of these.

primechicken

Still haven't decided whether I like the tips or not, but I guess I won't know until I try it myself. Gloken/Kazuma believes the tips will do less damage to the tama than normal, but we'll see I guess. Someone on the facebook kendama community suggested wooden tips. Anyone have an idea of how feasible that could be? Might be a solution/alternative to those who dislike the plastic tips.

Regardless, this puts even more hesitation on me to play my Earth Blue Mugen Musou, because they are so unique and different than public release heh. I Will probably end up with a sparkling green, cause having seen the earth blue in person, and how much photos cannot do it justice, I can only imagine how beautiful the sparkling green is.

@Evolderek You just might be able to get your hands on a Terra purpleheart kendama sooner than you think, and more readily available than before ;) Keep your eyes open.

Evolderek

Quote from: primechicken on 25 October, 2013, 20:22:24
Still haven't decided whether I like the tips or not, but I guess I won't know until I try it myself. Gloken/Kazuma believes the tips will do less damage to the tama than normal, but we'll see I guess. Someone on the facebook kendama community suggested wooden tips. Anyone have an idea of how feasible that could be? Might be a solution/alternative to those who dislike the plastic tips.

Regardless, this puts even more hesitation on me to play my Earth Blue Mugen Musou, because they are so unique and different than public release heh. I Will probably end up with a sparkling green, cause having seen the earth blue in person, and how much photos cannot do it justice, I can only imagine how beautiful the sparkling green is.

@Evolderek You just might be able to get your hands on a Terra purpleheart kendama sooner than you think, and more readily available than before ;) Keep your eyes open.

Thanks for the heads up man! I am constantly checking FB and Instagram for any new info  :D

Im not sure of the color way I want of the new Mugen. The Snow white is nice and subtle, but the green sparkle is amazing too.

Misterwhang

I know there will be the Sakura pearl color coming out next year but will there be anymore colors besides the 3 shown on the website? And I am guessing the price will stay around $80 USD...and the holsters...I love kendama and all but I would never pay $100+ for a simple holster no matter how limited they are.

BKA

Probably safe to say the only people who know for sure about the possibility of more colours would be Iwata-san, and probably Gloken. And when they want you to know, they'll tell you.
It's fun to speculate though... we added a few colours to http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19.0.html ....

Coach_Styles

I really feel like the addition of a plastic tip is a bad idea. This is potentially a very slippery slope. The best kendama's I own are beat up. I would NEVER use an Oozora if I couldn't beat the heck out of the spike. Kendama is all about tradition and I'm worried that this may only be the beginning. What's next? Plastic cup rims?

Dimensions

It seems to me that I am the only person who likes the idea of a plastic tip
Does anybody know if we can buy the new mugens from the GLOKEN shop of from the link the BKA gave us in the first post?
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

AlexSmith

The New Mugens will be available from GLOKEN exclusively.

The plastic tip is a hot topic in the kendama corner of the internet, seems like most people don't know what to make of it.
My gut feeling is that Kubota-san wouldn't make a product he didn't genuinely believe to be amazing quality, and he is someone who knows his way around a kendama better than you can imagine. That being said, my worries are that the tip will damage the tama more, or that there is the potential for it to break. Check out this photo I screen grabbed off Facebook, Akira-san drew a great picture that illustrates my worry, and a potential fix (to be fair, this may not even be a bit problem, so it may not need fixing. Everyone is still in speculation mode).

Seems like a good idea, though in reality the cross sectional area of the tip is pretty small, the fix might be too intricate to provide much additional strength at such a small scale. Remember though, this is all just speculation, I have no idea what the new Mugens are actually going to play like (though I would feel safe saying they'll probably jam just fine!)

Although I must say I am disappointed that there is not going to be an option to purchase individual tips. It'd be cool to buy a coloured one for customization, but I really wouldn't want to spend $30 on a six pack of colours I mostly won't want. Hopefully they'll make this an option!

I'll definitely be making my own wooden tips in the meantime. Something nice but soft, to help preserve the tama, maybe some birch or maple... :p