News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Ozora Taisei

Started by John, 21 May, 2017, 08:12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Craftybuddy (Yoko) has just got the first batch of the new Ozora Taisei kendamas in stock. They have bigger cups and a refined shape to allow easier kendama play, targeted generally at the elderly and younger children.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taisei-by-Ozora-maker-Kendama-Larger-Cups-Various-colours-Easier-to-Play-/252949436416?roken=cUgayN

KenSan

Yeah they showed up on the interwebz a while back. I originally thought Ozora had messed up when backward engineering a Sweets Prime! ;D
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

John

I actually really like the idea of this, and how it is aimed towards the elderly and very young to assist them with the co-ordination needed.

What's weird (for me, at least) is how the Prime is pretty much the same thing, and yet is completely aimed at the active / competitive kendama market. It just seems like it's defeating it's own purpose somewhat. As an active player I'm personally not interested in having massive cups on my ken. It's supposed to be a game of patience, skill and concentration and dumbing it down is just a bit of a turn-off for me. I didn't like the Slaydawg either, but can forgive it a little more as the whole kendama was 3% rather than just enhanced cups.

I guess I'm just a bit old school and like normal size kendamas, anything else feels like cheating to be honest. Although when I get to 70 and I need a bit more help with my 1 turn lunars, I'll probably be glad of a Taisei. :)

The Void

Totally agree. To me, using an oversize is just kidding yourself about your skill level. Fair enough for video fun, or stage/performance work, or maybe for introducing struggling beginners, but generally... meh, get real, dudes!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

KenSan

JKA/BKA comp size all the way for me. Although I do have a Slaydawg (Iji mod because of the cool Japanese flag styling), but it feels a little cumbersome to me.

Not bashing them but I dislike the sweets primes. They just remind me of catchy street kendamas. At least the Dawg is 5% all over not just the cups.

Mind you  I've played with viking size and performer size kendamas and I have no urge to have one those for myself either.

"Ozora is my bag baby!" With RWB Classics and KUSA Kaizens a close 2nd and 3rd.

Back on subject, I like the idea of the Taiseis but whether or not I get one is a different story.
3rd place @ BKO 2016 Adv. Division. :-)

johndmc

I'm not sure if I like the primes and dawgs either, I think I just find them too chunky and large. I can see the appeal of them especially when learning something new, but I prefer the grind of learning it on a jka.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

shalafi

I actually like to use the Viking to learn new tricks. It is easier to land it and get the feel of most tricks.

Then I'll move into the standard size, which is the real way to do it, but I do enjoy playing with the Viking for fun (and probably would use it for stage as well, not just for the higher hit ratio, but the size makes it more appealing for stage)
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

HansNickmans

I got a Taisei last weekend and I love playing with it. Maybe the novelty will wear off in the comings days/weeks, but there's something about those cups that make just moshikame feel weirdly satisfying. It's like having a kendama with a good clack on the spike, except it's on every cup. Also, birds are a bit more challenging on this one due to the smaller rims. My goal is to get a wingwalker on it. Initially I thought it would result in some Taisei-only tricks, but next to a weird crooked bird/banking I didn't really find anything.

But as I said, a whole lot of fun! And great for the collection of course :-)
Kendama Belgium!