News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

BKA Northern Regional Championships 2012

Started by BKA, 17 October, 2011, 14:59:12

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

I won't have any time to film, so if you guys do that would be most welcome. And pics too would be cool!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

No worries there at all then! We'll try get plenty of footage... unless it ends up being me vs. Harry during the knockouts, then we might not be able to for a while haha :P

BKA

FYI: Chocfest has traditionally had a home-made chocolate cake competition in the evening, and people who bring a cake to enter have usually been given a discount on the entry price. I've been trying to press the orgs to get more specific on the "£7-10" entry fee quoted, but no luck yet. Assume that it's a tenner to get in, and then you might be pleasantly surprised.

BKA

Latest semi-official-but-not-100%-confirmed news is that the entry price will be £9 for (day + show), with cake discounts at the discretion of whoever is on the desk at the time, depending on cake's impressiveness. :)

SamB

Our cake is being baked tomorrow. Probably chocolate orange. Mmmm...
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

The Void

Just finishing lunch, then heading off on the journey to York.

Bring it on!
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks to Sunrise kendamas for their generous sponsorship.
Well done to Chris D and Ian B in their first competition, especially Ian, who had only been playing kendama for about an hour! Great to see the Grimsby posse show up to play too, and thanks to Layna for taking photos. Thanks to Ians H. & F. for running Best Trick comp.

RESULTS
========
BEGINNERS
Position Name Level Misses
1. Chris D 6 (1)
2. Ian B. 6 (2)
3. Sally 5 (3)
4. Mats 4 (1)
5. Ian F. 2 (0)

MOSHI KAME
Position Name Catches in 60 seconds
1. Thorny 52
2. Harry 45
3. Sam 38

SPEED TRICK CHALLENGE
Position Name Winning time
1. Harry 35.8
2. Looby

BEST TRICK
1. Looby
2. Harry

ADVANCED
Position Name - Round Points Misses
1. Matt - F 7 (3)
2. Thorny - F 6 (4)
3. Harry - SF 3 (2)
4. Sam B. - SF 2 (4)
5. Ian H. - QF 1 (2)
6.= Jamie - QF 0 (2)
6.= Paul - QF 0 (2)

Adam K

Quote from: BKA on 28 January, 2012, 22:21:48
MOSHI KAME
Position Name Catches in 60 seconds
1. Thorny 52
2. Harry 45
3. Sam 38
I feel like I must be mistaken. I just got 138 catches of moshikame in 60 seconds on my first try. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thorny

Not quite, Sam and Harry both dropped the ball after about 20 seconds and I dropped it about 10 seconds later, it was more... nervous drops (at least, I was still nervous from the Advanced knockout round) than super-slow Moshikame-ing.

All in all, it was a brilliant day. Enjoyed every second of it! Thanks to everyone who took part and helped yesterday be what it was. :D

We'll have a bunch of photos up in a day or two!

SamB

Quote from: Adam K on 29 January, 2012, 01:42:19
I feel like I must be mistaken. I just got 138 catches of moshikame in 60 seconds on my first try. Is there something I'm missing here?

Its a whole different ball game when you're competing for the big prize and can hear two others clicking along. I'm definitely practicing some moshi kame for April!

Thanks again to Void for organising we had a really great day and went home stuffed with cake (sadly no cake prizes for our cake "A Chocwork Orange", but like in the kendama, the cake standard was super high!)
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

Adam K

Quote from: SamB on 29 January, 2012, 13:23:58

Its a whole different ball game when you're competing for the big prize and can hear two others clicking along. I'm definitely practicing some moshi kame for April!

Quote from: Thorny on 29 January, 2012, 08:34:32
Not quite, Sam and Harry both dropped the ball after about 20 seconds and I dropped it about 10 seconds later, it was more... nervous drops (at least, I was still nervous from the Advanced knockout round) than super-slow Moshikame-ing.

Ah that's it then, I'd forgotten how debilitating the pressure of stage can be. After all, if even the basic 3 ball pattern can become incredibly difficult on stage, then why shouldn't moshikame suffer in the same fashion?

The Void

I'll add thanks to everyone who helped to judge.

With respect to Moshi Kame, we started with everyone going at a nice steady pace, and slowly increased it until only 3 people were left, who then qualify for the later final. In the final, all 3 face off against each other at once, so they have to strike the balance between speed and safety, since your run ends after 60 seconds OR at your first drop. In this case it was all over in 23 seconds.

Sorry the Grimsby posse had to dash off fairly soon after the comp - it would have been cool to chill out and click for a bit afterwards, but at least you made it along in the first place! Looking forward to seeing the pics (and video, if you got any)!

Cheers.

ChrisD

It was great fun taking part in my first Kendama event and meeting all the friendly players.  Huge thanks to Void for organising it all,
and for all the tips and encouragement on the day.

Taking part in the beginners comp was fun and actually winning brings satisfaction well out of proportion to the modest
size of the achievement :D.  And it's most amusing to now be banned from the beginners comp at the BJC! 

Great to watch all the real Kendama players in the Advanced division - landing stuff that still looks impossible.

Well done Ian B - with your lightening progress I look forward to seeing you win the Advanced Division at Southend!

SamB

Quote from: The Void on 29 January, 2012, 18:46:45
Looking forward to seeing the pics (and video, if you got any)!
I just realised I spent so much time clicking I completely forgot to take any photos or video. Doy...
EDIT: I just found two on my phone:

Our cake

Thorny's Mugens with Guiness

The Void

Quote from: ChrisD on 29 January, 2012, 20:24:55And it's most amusing to now be banned from the beginners comp at the BJC!
Speaking to Richard last night, he made me realise that I have been over-zealous, and gone beyond the original rule. Namely that if you complete the Beginners ladder you have to move up to Advanced in your next competition. So, sorry for telling you and Topper otherwise: You can still compete in Beginners, Chris & Topper!