News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Practicing for BKA NRC Beginner Division

Started by ChrisD, 13 January, 2012, 13:41:12

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisD

On Monday, having played Kendama for a whole 2 weeks, I queried whether absolute beginners were welcome to enter the Beginner division of the BKA Northern Regional Championships.  The reply was a welcoming 'Absolutely!', and I've been fitting in as much practice as possible since (which is not very much given my commitments, but I've managed 15 mins twice each day and am seeing some progress).

At the start of the week Gunslinger, Around The Village/Japan, Aeroplane and Lighthouse were all unknown territory.  Gunslinger is coming slowly, though is highly enigmatic.  I manage it quite often, and then it can disappear out of reach.  Landing it feels very strange, like an unexpected lurch of a lift.  I've landed a handful of Aeroplanes for the first time today, though still only about 1 in 20.  Watching Void's demonstration video really helped in getting to this point.  Lighthouse is still out of sight, but I've started having a smidgeon of success with Around the Village, and I have a query here:  I believe the Ken is meant to be pointing forward before the throw to the spike.  But if (as often currently for me), you've fluffed your Big Cup catch and the ball points off to the side, is it acceptable to angle the ken sideward in compensation, as you throw to the spike?  I'm not clear if the way you hold/angle the Ken is a rule or just good form.  (And I guess that uncertainty applies to quite a few other tricks too).

Nothing like the challenge of a completion approaching.  This feels like being in (UK TV series) 'Faking It', only without the intensive hands-on coaching!  I expect I'll crash out on Big Cup, but am having fun trying not too ....

Chris

BKA

Hi Chris

Not allowed:
- Making any adjustment to the string (or ball/ken) with the free hand at any stage of a trick.
- Making a small 'adjustment throw' or 'jiggle' between stages of a trick. (That would count as your attempt at the next part of a trick.)

Allowed:
- Moving your (kendama) hand to a different angle to attempt (any stage of) the trick[nb]Unless this happened to contravene a trick specification (e.g. Reverse Swing In says that the ball must travel between the hand and the body: twist your hand too much on this trick, and you would break that rule.), but in your example it sounds fine.[/nb], providing that the relative positions of the ken/ball/string to each other remain the same[nb]Coo, this judging lark can get complicated, can't it?![/nb].

So, if we understand you right, what you're doing is okay. If still in doubt, post a quick video clip and we will clarify.

15 minutes twice a day can get you a long way. Keep it up!

BatDancer

Good on you for wanting to enter a competition. It can be a scary experience, and the pressure of being on stage, performing can be daunting.

The most important part of what you said is that you're having fun! Even if you do crash out on Big Cup (which I'm sure you won't) you'll have had fun!

Good Luck!!

(I'll be keeping a beady eye on the NRC results to see how you got on)

ChrisD

Hi,

Thanks to you both, for clarification and encouragement!

Chris

BatDancer

Well done Chris! Winner of the beginners!

Was it fun???

ChrisD

Hi BatDancer,

Thankyou!  Yes, it was great fun.  Both working away at the tricks with a deadline looming,
and then the whole event on the day. There was a good atmosphere and very supportive,
so it was really rewarding taking part.

Chris

ChrisD

My 4 year-old this morning:  "How did you win the Kendama race, Daddy?  You're not very good at Kendama."

She has a point! 

SamB

Quote from: ChrisD on 03 February, 2012, 10:28:37
My 4 year-old this morning:  "How did you win the Kendama race, Daddy?  You're not very good at Kendama."

Thems sound like (very cute) fightin' words! Watch your back!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

ChrisD

You're right, Sam!  I think my best hope is the mooted Seniors comp (as long as the age limit is high enough!).