News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Dama Fest 2013. May 11th.

Started by BKA, 01 May, 2013, 11:06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

BKA

We just realised that no-one has posted this here yet.
http://kendamausa.com/2013/04/09/dama-fest-2013/
https://www.facebook.com/events/489994321066696/

Has anyone got a link to the rules or trick lists? Maybe they haven't been posted yet!

KendAlex

What i'm on the flyer next to Colin Sander?
what a honor. lol

gonna be of the hook, i will try to shoot as many pictures as i can
wish me luck

The Void

Good luck Alex!

Do you know if the trick lists have been published? I couldn't find them.

Anyway, luck or not, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

SamB

Quote from: The Void on 02 May, 2013, 20:46:06
Do you know if the trick lists have been published? I couldn't find them.

I've noticed the N. Americans tend to do them about a week before the competitions. If you don't know the tricks that's too bad!

Good luck Alex! You are representing all of Europe!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

shalafi

Nice one. Have fun, Mr Alex!
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Cliffdama

Good luck everybody whos heading over there :). Have fun!

BKA

Tricks are out, just 4 days before the competition! Same format as WKO.

Some of the names are a bit unclear to us, but a video is coming, allegedly.

br4d24

ive heard rumors that they are going to give everyone a red TK-16 who competes; and they all have to use those for the competition so its fair. Dont know if this is true or not, but if it is that would be really cool!

Could also explain why the pic is a red dama (possibly tk? experts could you confirm? )

SamB

Trick list clarification is up

Most are correct, some translations for BKA speak:
Opening rounds:
#6 = Aeroplane U.F.O. (pretty close but seems you have to aeroplane first)
#9 = Pull-up whirlwind spike

Final 16:
#7 = Scramble 1-turn lighthouse -> falling down[nb]Scramble is WAY better than "around-earth" or (even worse) "front-spacewalk". Come on guys, lets get that one straight[/nb]
#8 = Spike whirlwind earthturn[nb]Kenflip/kenturn - two different terms on one page - both are whirlwinds[/nb]
#9 = Lunar lander - Lunar somersault -> in

Notes (proabably just translation variations): smallest cup = base cup = bottom cup, handroll = handwrap, slip-stop = slip-grip, Lunar landing = moon landing

Stickler'd!
BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

SamB

Ah and good luck to anyone entering!

If you are at Dama Fest and checking this before you compete regardless of who you are, my top tip is CONFIDENCE.
You'd be surprised that just believing you can do a trick under pressure will help you do better

Also the "Pros" WILL MISS A LOT especially on stage and under pressure. Don't be put off because they have 100,000 YouTube views they are very beatable in this style of contest![nb]Missing all those spacewalks and bats against that KendAlex the other week still stings. I almost had him![/nb]

Finally, if I learned anything from the Japanese players last year it is take your time, get everything straight and still and only do the trick when you are absolutely ready.

Yeah, I'm hoping for an underdog story!

The Void

[user]br4d24[/user] - that'd be very generous to give a TK16 to *everyone*, as well as a $1000 prize to the winner. If it's true, I'd suspect it would be TK16s for the final 16.  It would be an interesting call though... we all know we love to play our kendamas worn in, so hitting all those harder tricks on a brand new kendama would be an extra-tough challenge.

[user]SamB[/user] - I couldn't tell if that was a Scramble or 'just' a Spacewalk - does the finger stay in contact?
Oh and re "always the bridesmaid" in your sig - remember you're still ahead of Matt here.

Shame I can't make it to DamaFest , best wishes to and FUN to all there. I'll have to make do with SKO for now. *Looks wistfully at flights to Osaka.*
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Waylon

I feel you, Void. Atlanta is a bit far for me. I'm planning on attending a few yoyo contests this year. I'm hoping to see some kendama presence at them.

SamB

£650 I could be there by 2pm.....
Next time for sure.

Quote from: The Void on 10 May, 2013, 16:53:59
[user]SamB[/user] - I couldn't tell if that was a Scramble or 'just' a Spacewalk - does the finger stay in contact?
Oh and re "always the bridesmaid" in your sig - remember you're still ahead of Matt here.
I think it is a scramble. I know I have that but it would be nice to beat him just one time...

BKA

From a couple of photos on Instagram, it looks a lot like Keith Matsumura won the $1000 prize.
Well done Keith!

AlexSmith

It ended up being an 'any regulation sized dama goes' event. The RedTK (or other standard dama) idea was vetoed in favour of a more open allowance.
The format worked really well, its more or less a modded version of what the EKO was. I like the addition of the speed trick tie breakers. Kept things moving and interesting.

Keith did indeed win, I think he took the final round 3-1. Brandon Meyer was second place, he was playing super well the whole way through as well.

An absolutely insane event overall!