News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Instant (sticky) Tama

Started by Kev, 16 April, 2013, 11:44:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev

Hi folks - there was some discussion here before about using rubberized tamas or friction stickers as a training tool for those difficult tricks before progressing up to a proper painted or woodgrain tama.

Here's an alternative I just came up with - works very well, costs around 1 pence, takes 30 seconds to sort out and doesn't damage or modify your kendama permanently so is completely reversible!

The solution: balloons!

(It could be done much neater than this so it fits closer to the hole but I was in a rush!)

So there you have it - Instant sticky tama!

happygoat

Hehe...what a nice trick!  :P

I guess you took the string off to get the baloon over the tama, and the string hole, or what is your method?

Kev

Thanks, glad you like it :)

A. The quick version - (without taking the tama off the string):

Simply cut the top and bottom off a balloon which leaves you with a tube - then pull it over the tama.

Hey presto! A quick kendama tama snood!

B. The smart version:

1. Remove the tama from the string.
2. Pull the balloon over the top of the tama - (make sure the tama hole is in line with the neck of the balloon).
3. Stretch the neck of the balloon a little and cut directly across with scissors. (A clean straight cut results in a perfect circle sitting around the edge of the hole)
4. Pop a hole through the balloon at the top of the tama to allow the string to pass through again (a cocktail stick works well here) and then reattach the string.

That's it!

NOTE: The advantage of the 'quick' method is you can take it on an off easily. The 'smarter' version looks nicer but needs to be cut off or you need to remove the string to take it off.

PS - remember this IS cheating - but it's a nice practice tool that might help learning lighthouse or lunars etc.

8)

br4d24

aw man all the kids on the kendama fb community are gonna start regretting their purchases of all them stupid tacky damas. :) Great idea though!

Cliffdama

There is no fun for me in a sticky tama :p, just give me my blue ozora or stained sweets! But i like your creative idea, and going to try it, so i can finally land a lunar haha ^^.

Kev

Quote from: Cliffdama on 17 April, 2013, 05:27:04
There is no fun for me in a sticky tama :p, just give me my blue ozora or stained sweets! But i like your creative idea, and going to try it, so i can finally land a lunar haha ^^.

Yeah I agree, I have no interest in it long term - like I said, it IS cheating! I certainly wouldn't say I'd landed something if I'd only done it on the balloon tama! - have to land it on my natural grains to say I've truly landed it;)

BUT it seems it can be a handy training tool -

Kendama is like other skill toys in that if you can break a trick down into its constituent elements you can focus on the skills on bit at a time before putting them all together.

For example, Lighthouse is a 'throw' and a 'catch':

- On my naturals at the moment I can land Lighthouse about 1 in 15 tries.

- At the BJC I borrowed The Void's well broken in painted Sunrise and could land Lighthouse around 2 in 10 times.

- With the balloon tama I can land lighthouse around 5 in 10 times.

This 'cheating' method means I can concentrate more on the 'throw' part of the trick and forget about the 'catch' part.

The extra focus on the throw has really helped get it right - learning to use just enough energy to pop the ken into a good position for the catch (just as it reaches its peak) AND most importantly, increasing consistency when I go back to the 'proper' natural kendama.

Cliffdama

Ok you are right about that. But i think with a lighthouse the trow (for me) is the most important part of the trick. If you don't pull it up straight it's just hard to catch so even with a balloon tama you are about to fail. If you practice the pull with you origional kendama the catch will come with it in a while. And as void would say: more kneeeeeeeees! :D <- he is right haha.

And i still think it's a great idea the balloon. And landed my first lunar in a legal way today! So everything is possible just practice hard ^^

RodDama

-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

Yoda

Wow :D Nice idea. High five for creativity!
KENDAMA.COM.PL- POLISH KENDAMA COMMUNITY

Kev

Quote from: RodDama on 17 April, 2013, 22:56:49
haha! this is hilarious!

Yep indeedy ;)

Quote from: Yoda on 21 April, 2013, 01:31:12
Wow :D Nice idea. High five for creativity!

Thanks, and now you can colour coordinate your tama to match your socks :)

EpicHeroGuy

Definitely a smart idea for a beginner to get used to some tricks with. Great Idea!

FaustoBrazeal

Quote from: Kev on 16 April, 2013, 11:44:41
Hi folks - there was some discussion here before about using rubberized tamas or friction stickers as a training tool for those difficult tricks before progressing up to a proper painted or solar panel tama.

Here's an alternative I just came up with - works very well, costs around 1 pence, takes 30 seconds to sort out and doesn't damage or modify your kendama permanently so is completely reversible!

The solution: balloons!

(It could be done much neater than this so it fits closer to the hole but I was in a rush!)

So there you have it - Instant sticky tama!

Looks really awesome.. I will surely try it and will share out my experience very soon.

KendamaKlub

Great idea. We are all reading this wondering how we've never thought of it. Good job!