News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

request for Kendama contacts in Sapporo or Hirosaki + a nice little inward luna combo

Started by kendamajohnny, 21 July, 2015, 02:40:11

Previous topic - Next topic

kendamajohnny

Hi everyone! :)

For most of the duration of next year I will be living in Japan, so would really like to meet up with any kendama players that are in the areas I will be staying.
I will be staying in Sapporo for 1 month, Hirosaki for 10 months and will do about a months travel a various times during the year.
Does anyone know any kendama players from Sapporo or Hirosaki? Neither of the places are well known for kendama, but I'm sure there must at least be one player!
It would also be really helpful if anyone could put me in contact with people that might know kendama players living in these areas.
Many thanks for your help - here is a little combo I filmed tonight with my royal kendama:
http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2477.0.html

Johnny

The Void

Hi Johnny,
That's super-cool that you'll be heading to Japan for a year! (When do you leave, btw?) Have you started learning Japanese yet? (I recommend the app Human Japanese.)
I must admit, it seems to me that Tokyo-Osaka-Hiroshima seem to be the main centres for kendama in Japan. I'm not aware of any groups in the North. But like you say, there must be at least a few. And even if there aren't.... I bet that by the time your year is up, there will be a whole bunch there, inspired by the crazy young Igirisu Gaijin. (That's you.)
But anyway, I will try to ask around for you.

Are you coming to EKO in Leeds[nb]http://kendama.co.uk/eko[/nb], by the way? You could meet Mikami-san and Imada-san (both from Hiroshima region) and ask them about contacts.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BKA

BKA

札幌 けん玉 ...is Japanese for "Sapporo kendama", by the way, in case that helps you searching.

A google search for that also finds
https://www.facebook.com/pages/オール札幌コマけん玉検定会あそびのひろば/372333982785688 (Maybe that's the same thing as the JKA link.

kendamajohnny

Hello!
I have started learning Japanese and have been self teaching for a few months. How is your Japanese void!?
I'm afraid I won't be able to make EKO as I'm leaving on the 16th, so it would be quite awkward to go. I'm also trying to save as much money as possible. It's such a shame to miss an English EKO!
Is there a way of contacting Mikami-san and Imada-san or other Japanese players outside of the EKO and kendama events? I'm struggling to find any online forum similar to this. Maybe there is a Facebook group with Japanese players?
Thanks for the tip about Sapporo - I will check out the pages! :)

The Void

I can read katakana and hiragana (but not necessarily understand it), and I can speak a little - order a coffee, that kind of thing. Understanding anything said to me is very difficult though.  I'm very rusty, and I need to brush up before my visit in September. Hey, you're leaving in August? Maybe you can make it to the JKA's 40th anniversary event? See you there if so! Well, I'm sure you'll find other kendama events to get to while you're there if not. I have asked one of my JKA contacts to suggests people for you to contact, if he knows any - either here or to your email address.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

LarsVegas

Quote from: The Void on 21 July, 2015, 12:33:12
You could meet Mikami-san and Imada-san (both from Hiroshima region) and ask them about contacts.

Mikami-san lives in Osaka. Maybe he's from Hiroshima, but for at least a year he's quite active in the Kansai community (well, one of the major Kendama centres in Japan).
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

Goli

Hi, I'm Japanese and live in Sapporo.

My friend is runnning a yoyo and
Kendama shop in Sapporo.

Are you still staying in Sapporo?

The Void

Hi Goli,
Is it http://yoyospaceas.com/ ? They have a nice selection of kendama.

kendamajohnny

Hi Goli,

Thank you for your reply!
I'm staying in Sapporo until the 18th of September. I would love the opportunity to meet other kendama players.
Could you give me the address/name of the shop and maybe a good time I could go and visit?

Thanks again :)
Johnny

Goli

Hi The void,

Yes! There it is!

Hi Jonny,

There is shop named 'yoyo space az'
There is a space where you practice.

The kendama champion in Hawaii who lives in Sapporo sometimes comes to this place.(His name is Ace Szalkus)

The address is 'Minami 5 1-20,Nishimachi, Nishiku,Sapporo.

It takes about 10minutes to walk from'Hassamu minami subway station'

Actually,I'm kendama player too.
I'm looking forward to meeting you!

The Void

Hmmm, I was just looking at flights to Sapporo from Tokyo. Not too expensive. Not sure about timing though. @kendamajohnny , would you be free on Tuesday 15th to hang out?

kendamajohnny

Hello Goli,

I'm staying in a guest home at 3-15 Kita 35 Higashi 6, but I have a bike, so can easily cycle there!
I'll be able to visit the shop tomorrow from around 15:00 tomorrow is anyone is around? Do you know if any kendama players will be around to meet then or are there particular times people meet up?

I look forward to meeting you :)

Hi Void!

I'm available from about 1pm as I have a language class in the morning. Would be awesome to see you :D It seems a quite long way to go for just one day though?

Also, have a great time at the WKO!! :)

The Void

Hey Johnny,
After checking out details of flight times, airport access, and hotels, I think I've decided that it is indeed a little too much money-per-time to come up for only 1 day. ( I could theoretically do a 2-day trip too, but flights and hotels are more pricey on the Monday.)

Ah well, I'll have to catch you another time... Back in England, probably. Cool that you've made a contact now, though.

Oh, and @Goli and @kendamajohnny : You should add yourselves to the Member Map!