News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

3D Printed Kendama

Started by shalafi, 03 November, 2012, 18:57:58

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

HI guys,

I have a friend that is into 3D Printing and I asked him to print a kendama, he will be doing it in the following days and I will be post pictures (and review) of it here.

Does anyone around have something like this? I believe it will be similar to the plastic kendamas KendAlex did, but I can't tell until I lay my hands on them.

Will anyone be interested on having one of those as well?
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

KendAlex

ofcourse i like to have one, depends on how much it goes for.
what kind of kendama did you use for the model?

AlexSmith

Oooh I'm interested, whats the material? Hopefully not corn starch or stem cells :p

shalafi

Not sure about the price, 3D printers charge per hour, so he will know after printing the first one.
We found a model that is really close to JKA standards, again, I can tell you more after we print the first one and I can play with it.
Material is usually plastic, but there are other choices, ever for weird color combinations.

More info later in the week.

Sponge.

shalafi

These are photos of the first attempt. I don have it with me (yet) but I will have it next week, I have been told that it is quite light (but solid)

I hope to try it out and put more comments here. I'll show it at the Kendama meetup we have on the Netherlands next weekend

Oase

nice one !!! it loooks good this way..i`m sure you can perfect this..and make it exactly..perfect

shalafi

It has been mailed, waiting...

shalafi

I got it a few days ago, the print quality is ok, but not good, my friend has not finished calibrating the printer yet, so this one is a test.

It is very light, specially the dama, which makes it difficult, but it can be played with.

I have done spikes, hanging spikes and faster than gravity easily. The base cup is the worst part of it, the rim is not good to make balance tricks on it. Birds I have not succeed, Bats I have.

Tomorrow I'll bring it to the Dutch Kendama Day to let people play with it.

A video and a better prototype is coming soon.

shalafi

So, after let some Dutch players lay their hands on it, bad news and good news.

Bad news is that the prototype broke, it is too fragile to do spacewalks, after a few falls it did not survive. It survived a few thou

Good news is that people liked it, there are a few things to fix in the model but people has made all sort of tricks with it, from birds to lighthouses, stabbing heaven... cool stuff.

A new version is coming soon... stay tuned

shalafi

Some news.

We are going to get hand on a 3D scanner, so we are going to be able to scan a real kendama for the model. It is going to be an Oozora.
We are going to work on the durability as well, making it more solid and with thicker "walls" that will also improve the playability.

But I don't think I should be able to tell you more until January

donald grant

You could always scan a mugen and be retired, sipping cocktails in the Caribbean by Christams! :)

SamB

BKO 2011 - 2nd, SRC 2011 - 2nd,  SRC 2012 - 2nd, EJC 2012 (unicorns) - 2nd, SRC 2013 - 2nd, BKO 2013 - 3rd - Always the bridesmaid...

shalafi

The Wood kendama will be awesome... oh wait!

shalafi

So, the 3D scanner is in place, my friend has now an Oozora to scan... version 2 of the FabLab Kendama is coming early next year.