News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Tokyo trip

Started by The Void, 21 March, 2014, 16:58:18

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Good fun in the sun today.

Hatanaka-san's got mad combo skills in the flesh. I managed to pull a C-Whip to LH Tightrope in a game of KEN on him, completely by fluke. He still killed me.  :) Great to see Cima and Tajima-san again too, and to meet Komoto-san, who is just as full of enthusiasm as he seems online to be. Also met @duncanpunk from IG. Nice guy. And there was an extended Fast Hand Drill session, which did indeed get drilled.

Boy am I tired though. Tomorrow's THE DAY....
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Oh yeah, and I got Nodding Slip Grip for the first time ever. Duncan saw it. It's somewhere in one of the Freedom Kendama vids, if you don't know what that is.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

Met up with Cima for lunch, then into the JKA office, where I met Matsunaga-san, JKA vice president, Ohani-san, JKA Masters champion, Nakanishi-san (Q."Are you nervous?"  A."Don't say that!!!"), and Sakamoto-san, who were to be my judging panel, along with Cima. A little warm-up, then it was time to go.

A'Cosmos, all fine. Missed my 2nd Bird, but got the next 7, with a few "swerve saves". Oh, my hands have decided to shake. Well then, yes, Nakanishi-san, seems I am nervous. Oh look, I missed my 2nd Hanging Spike too. Keep it together Void. A couple more swerves, but got the next 7 of those too. Jumping Stick next, and as was by now traditional, I missed my 2nd one... on the Aeroplane! Oh, criminal, just criminal. So then I thought, just for fun, that I'd miss the next two as well. And bam! It's all over.
6th Dan is toughfffffffffffffffffffffff.
Except it's not over, because Cima says we'll carry on "just for practice". Got through the next 3 pretty clean, then BFOTV. Missed first Bird. Missed 2nd hop. Got 3rd. And then shaky hands and nerves blew the rest away. Next 2 tricks fine, but 2-TLH was as mean as ever. I might have got 2, but I think it was 1.
On the plus side, I did get complimented by Matsunaga-san on my good (I think read "correct" :) ) technique (i.e. knee-work). I believe the word "impressive" may have been used. Coo, that's nice. Coffee and snacks, chat, a little play, and some gift-giving, then we were done. Until next Saturday, JKA, thank you for the opportunity.

L-R:Ohani-san, Sakamoto-san, [user]K.Cima[/user], [user]The Void[/user], Matsunaga-san, Nakanishi-san.

Cima, Sakamoto-san and I then headed off to Shinjuku park again to meet up with Komoto-san, except when we got there, we received his text that they'd packed the stall away for the day much earlier, due to wind and rain. So then we headed to Decade for a chill out and play. Nob430 got his 1000 moshi kame that he had been stressing about. Yeah, man, go! Didn't manage to clear the rest of his 4th Dan tricks, alas, but I know he'll get there soon. Some of the other Decade crew got some Kyu action going, and there was a general jam, and some trick and tip swapping too. Hunger set in, and 4 of us went Italian. And so to respective trains home.
Well, I can't possibly be that nervous next time......

Oh boy. :)

The Void

LarsVegas

Keep calm and carry on ...
I thought that's what you British always do. Void, if someone from this part of the world can master this, then it's you. Wish you all the best and success
EKO 2012 - European Beginner Champion

s070s

comming back with your 6 DAN  >????

The Void

The Void

Yesterday I met up with Hyuga-san ([user]kendamagal[/user]) for a chill out and play in yoyogi park. In the evening we went to Club Xiphias, a cool bar where kendama players sometimes hang out. Tajima-san joined us there.

Today I headed to Tokyo main station, as I needed to buy some Shinkansen tickets. I had intended to stay in Tokyo for my whole visit, but Kubota-san told me Gloken are having an event in Hiroshima on Sunday. So after dithering about the expense, I finally told myself I would be silly not to go. After confusing the nice man at the ticket office, I went to Hibiya park for an afternoon's chilling and clicking. Practiced my 6th Dan for the first time since the exam.... and "passed"! Typical! I filmed a few tricks, relaxed, and met a cat.

Then it was on to meet up with Akimoto-san, in Kawagoe, on the western edge of Tokyo. While waiting at the station, another player, Su, turned up, and we played a little bit of "KEN for fun" (no lives or anything). Turned out that Su is the guy who runs Kyandama-bu, a weekly meeting held in a smallish room behind a shop. Really nice evening hanging out with players of all levels, snacks from the place next door, drinks, smiles, swapping stickers. The main trick highlight was perhaps me and Akimoto-san both trying Banking>Nod to Wingwalker... and both getting it simultaneously!
"Now what?" "Spike?" "Okay". Got it (both of us deciding to Earth Turn in). Yes.
Oh, and I got Bow and Arrow > UFO too. Lots of other players trying new stuff (some of my tricks), and getting them too. High fives all round.  None of that on film though.

Nice to meet you, Su, Hanaho, James, MJ, Peter, Philip, Adam, and those whose names I've forgotten already. (Sorry!)
Typing on the train back to the hotel.

Meeting Akimoto-san again tomorrow for some hanging out and filming.

theobau

Sounds awesome! #voidworldwide

Quote from: The Void on 01 April, 2014, 16:29:49The main trick highlight was perhaps me and Akimoto-san both trying Banking>Nod to Wingwalker... and both getting it simultaneously!

Quote from: The Void on 29 March, 2014, 12:42:33
I managed to pull a C-Whip to LH Tightrope in a game of KEN on him, completely by fluke.

Nod to wingwalker?! C-Whip to left hand tightrope?!?!

The Void

Kev

Enjoying your updates Void, looks like a great trip!

The Void

Fun session in Inokashira park this afternoon with Akimoto-san. Lots of play, and filming clips. 1-2 down on games of KEN, but, hey, I'm happy with 1! Evening meal with A, and Kubota-san and Hyuga-san from Gloken. Good times, good company. My feet are complaining a bit though.

Oh, and this guy strolled up and casually LH'd, saying "I was.... JKA.... forty years ago.". Presumably not all of it. :-)

AptDweller

It continues to amaze me how long Kendama playing has been around, and the ages of those who enjoy it.  I just love it.

Larry
I have always maintained that the one important phenomenon presented by modern society - the enormous prosperity of Fools.

Wilkie Collins

Sonicpearse

Sounder amazing! Must be Awesome 'jammin' with those guys & getting the compliments! All the very best with your second attempt at 6th dan on Saturday. We're all behind you... (by about 8 hours!)
Sonicpearse

The Void

Thanks for the support and encouragement, everyone.

Today was a wet and windy slow day. Mooched about in Asakusa, being a tourist shopper. Went to gawp at the Skytree. It's tall, alright. Top of it was in the mist though. Haven't touched a kendama all day.