News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Which Kendama?

Started by hayz, 05 May, 2015, 16:12:03

Previous topic - Next topic

hayz

Hello,
I'm playing Kendama for about 1 month now and I want to buy a new one.
I had a PLAY PRO K 2014 Kendama. I really like it, but the problem is, that the wood is just too soft, so the top got flat after hitting the ball a few times.
Now I found the bamboo mahogany Kendama and i think that bamboo will be definitely more stable than the standard wood.

What do you think about the bamboo Kendama?
Which Kendama would you prefer?

Greets

shalafi

If your problem is that the spike got blunted I suggest you try gluing the tip of the spike of your next kendama. And of course re-sharpening it using some sand paper (but do not try to reconstruct it)

As seen here along the allowed modifications: http://www.kendama.co.uk/approved.html

Most kendamas will have similar durabilty, even the hardwood ones are not that hard. I'd glue the tip of the spike of any new kendama.

It really depends on the style of each player, some blunt the spike faster than others. I do, and I always glue my kens.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

BenBenVx

I'm one of those that spikes get dull super quick from hard downspikes aha.. glue glue glue!

hayz

Thank you for your answers.
I havent known the Trick with the glue yet. I will try it next time! :)
But The question is still which kendama? What Do you think about the bamboo kendama? Or maybe the ozora Kendama? Are there differences between the different ozora Standard kendama?

shalafi

Ozoras kens are the same, the finishing in the paint on the tama is different.

There are a few non standard Ozoras that are of other wood, but they are "special"

Of go for an Ozora, or if you want to try, Play and Krom have hardwood kendamas that are quite nice and not too expensive.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Kev

I agree with @shalafi - also I'd recommend a Royal Kendama - tough as nails, very affordable and plays beautifully.