News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

(POLL) Do you glue your Kendama tips?

Started by jesse.hill.1200, 12 March, 2013, 19:41:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you glue your Kendama tips to prevent wear?

I glue all my Kendama tips to prevent wear
Only my most played tips get glued
I own enough Kendamas that I don't really care about the wear of the tips
See no need to glue the tips
I will never glue my Kendama tips

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

AptDweller

At this time I only have two kendamas and have glued both.  One I used a number of times before gluing and it shows.  Definitely going to continue the practice.
I have always maintained that the one important phenomenon presented by modern society - the enormous prosperity of Fools.

Wilkie Collins

mlarinen

Can someone explain why you glue the tips? Does it make that much of a difference whether the tip is sharp or dull? To me it seems that you have to be pretty exact when spiking regardless of the condition of the tip?

I would also love to see some photos of what you guys consider a good tip, to help us newbs out. As somebody pointed out, it seems that you wouldn't want to keep the tip quite as sharp as it comes straight out of the box since it might hurt the paint on the tama?

BKA

mlarinen

Yeah... Still no explanation on why a blunt tip is a bad thing though ;P

BKA

Ah, right. Well, simply, it's harder to get it in the hole - greater precision required. Plus, it's ugly.

emagdnim

Did it when I first started playing, done it with one kendama.
But stopped with it,  I rather play the dama as it comes.

The Void

Quote from: mlarinen on 22 October, 2014, 00:05:20...it seems that you wouldn't want to keep the tip quite as sharp as it comes straight out of the box since it might hurt the paint on the tama?
"Spike soft, catch low." Good technique makes kendamas last longer.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Quote"Spike soft, catch low." Good technique makes kendamas last longer.

Though I agree with the sense of this first one, I think it has its stylistic limits. Spiking hard has a different aesthetic to a pivoting, gentle slipping onto the spike style, and both are in my opinion totally legitimate techniques. If one practices a really powerful spike with enough concentration, it's surely only the tops of the cups that really take on any damage. Catching low, while also a stylistic thing, is so sensible it might as well be a maxim.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

azleonhart

I glue most of my tips when they're slightly blunt. A couple of hours of play usually does it for me.
Sharp and hard tips kill the paint much faster.
I have been hunting around for the right glue for tipping, but i'm yet to find one.

Been using Selley's medium viscosity 4-pack tubes (ones that look like mini toothpaste tubs) for a bit, but once i open a tube, it's only good for one use (hardens up after some days), then i tried generic low viscosity ones. They can be used longer, but don't last on the spike as long as Selley's.

To [user]AlexSmith[/user], would you happen to know what glue Colin uses? I received a kendama from him sometime back and that stuff lasts really, really long.
What the trick?

morgothaod

Do you folks apply super glue to the spike of the Kendama? Why or why not? Thanks

johndmc

I do, I have tried both doing it and not doing it, and prefer it. It helps preserve the life of the spike tip, stops it dulling or folding slightly with play
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)

BKA

Hi @morgothaod ,
Welcome to the forum.
There was an old thread/poll on the same subject, so we have merged the topics. Have a read through for some opinions. That said, it hadn't been posted in for a few years, anyone still reading... Chime in with your thoughts/vote in the poll.

morgothaod

How long do the kendama tips last before you need to buy a new kendama?

johndmc

Quote from: morgothaod on 09 March, 2017, 04:32:47
How long do the kendama tips last before you need to buy a new kendama?
Hi morgothaod,

Technically you wouldn't need to buy a new kendama if the spike dulls. I did find not gluing, that it meant the tama slipped off more easily doing certain things once the spike was pretty battered. I just sanded it back to shape and glued it and it was fine. You may have some issues if you wanted to do gradings if there is excessive wear, otherwise no real need to buy a new one, unless you just want to try something different.
Dont practice what you can do, practice what you can't! :)