News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Natural vs Painted

Started by AptDweller, 22 February, 2014, 22:20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

AptDweller

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any playing difference in a painted tama as compared to natural tama.  It seems like when I do spiking tricks I have less problems with a painted tama than a natural.  I can't believe it would make that much difference.  Any thoughts?

Larry
I have always maintained that the one important phenomenon presented by modern society - the enormous prosperity of Fools.

Wilkie Collins

RodDama

for spike tricks the finish shouldnt matter... the real difference is in balance tricks like lighthouse and lunar.  but even then.. diferent paints and different woods play diferently.. i personally love a natty tama... but painted also have their place! for me t is dependent on what im feeling at the moment.. what kind of tricks im doing.. and how honed i am or how in the zone i am.. if im doing balance tricks and am feeling kind of out of it.. ill go for a sticky painted tama.. or a really well worked in natty.. whereas if im feeling good ill go or something a little more slick to make the tricks a little bit harder!
-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

AptDweller

Thanks for the info.  I'm still trying to figure this kendama thing out :). It's a lot of fun working at it, though.
I have always maintained that the one important phenomenon presented by modern society - the enormous prosperity of Fools.

Wilkie Collins

RodDama

-RodDama!

www.terrakendama.com

Ian F

Quote from: AptDweller on 22 February, 2014, 22:20:40
I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any playing difference in a painted tama as compared to natural tama.  It seems like when I do spiking tricks I have less problems with a painted tama than a natural.  I can't believe it would make that much difference.  Any thoughts?

Larry

Could it be as simple that with a painted tama you get a better visual contrast between the ball and the hole, whereas the similar colour of a natural and its hole recess just make it that little bit trickier to see?

Just a thought,

Ian.

AptDweller

You make a good point, Ian.  I think you are right.  I seem to spike better when I have some contrast.

Larry

Wilkie Collins