News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Yoko Haneken

Started by The Void, 21 August, 2011, 21:29:09

Previous topic - Next topic

the milky oolong

Thanks Void, no, I mean shoulder-to-shoulder direction Jumping Stick, or, as you pointed out, Jumping Stick Regardless. Have been practising my UFOs today after a wave of panic thinking I too might be a perpetrator of the 'wonky UFO'; found out that remaining totally aware of the wrist and locking out any upwards-downwards movement has actually improved my consistency in landing it (which is still far from high-frequency).
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate

The Void

Good point about the up-and-down movement of the hand. The hand's up-and-down movement should only be controlled by the knees, and NOT by the arm. Try this experiment: Do a UFO, but beforehand, place your free hand against your chest, level with the start position of the other hand/kendama. Now, hopefully you'll see that while doing the UFO, the ken and your active hand remain at the same (mid-chest) height as your inactive hand.

I used to regularly miss the UFO by scooping my hand inwards at a slightly different height to the ken until I started to concentrate on this knee-control of the height.[nb]Does this make it sound like I'm now completely solid with a UFO? Ummm... yeah... I am.. Honest. No really, would I lie to you? Well, maybe only a bit...[/nb]
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

the milky oolong

Thanks to Void for my first UFOs that don't so much 'click' as 'crack' like a bullwhip.
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate