News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Trick: Banking

Started by The Void, 06 February, 2012, 18:01:01

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

I thought I'd rescue this from the Twitter feed.
Pull-up, catch here.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

FilthyTown

Now that looks a little tricky.

I've been trying the slip grip stalls, they are killing me... >:(

HansNickmans

I saw it on video by jugglertakumi and tried to translate it through google translate to get a trick name. Is banking the official translation or an interpretation?

This trick is hella hard by the way, I think wingwalker is easier (having never landed the first one and the latter on a couple of occasions...)

Kendama Belgium!

The Void

"Banking" is the name I gave it, not knowing anything better. My thinking being that the ken flying through the air is the "aeroplane", and when the tama is standing on the wing of the aeroplane, it is Wingwalking. So, on the following lines, in this trick, the wings of the "aeroplane" are tilted over, and when an aeroplane does that, it is said to be "banking":

Meanwhile, if you link me to the video of jugglertakumi, I'll try and translate whatever he calls it in Japanese.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

HansNickmans

Found it:
Google translate gives 'Crescent secret'

Although I very much like the explanation you gave for the trick name! You could have taken the easy road and call it 'Void's balance' :-)
Kendama Belgium!

The Void

Quote from: HansNickmans on 07 February, 2012, 11:16:23Found it: 三日月極意
Google translate gives 'Crescent secret'
"Mikadzuki gokui".
If you translate the characters in blocks, you get
三=Three
日月=Moon
極意=Secret
The first 3 characters translate together[nb]via google[/nb] as "Crescent moon" ("Mikadzuki"), and the last two to "Secret" ("gokui"). Gokui, however, is used in names such as Oozara Gokui ("Wingwalker", but literally "Big Cup Mastery"), so perhaps you could translate this trick name as "Crescent Mastery". However, I'm going to stick with "Banking", since it's quicker to say. :-)
Big disclaimer: I *don't* speak Japanese, but I feel like I "speak kendama" at least a little bit.
Quote from: HansNickmans on 07 February, 2012, 11:16:23Although I very much like the explanation you gave for the trick name! You could have taken the easy road and call it 'Void's balance' :-)
That reminds me of a time at a juggling convention when someone was teaching us a silly game involving pointing fingers at each other. The person who was teaching the game was asked "What's the game called?". He paused to think about it, at which point Caspar (who was just learning the game) quickly and loudly said "Caspar's game!".  ;D So yeah, I'd be very wary of naming a trick after myself (or anyone, really) unless I was really sure I'd invented it.

The Void

Five-year threadsurrection!

It was only while talking to Su recently that I realised the "crescent" was the space between the tama and the sarado.

D'oh!

John

Absolutely one of my favourite tricks. Thanks for the info surrounding it!