News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Typhoons: a new class of trick!

Started by The Void, 03 August, 2011, 13:46:36

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

After the discussion in this thread turned to "ball-whirlwind" tricks, I asked a Japanese player if they were known in Japan, and if they had a name or not. He said they were not.

So, while "ball-whirlwind" is descriptive, I have noticed that people will use a shorter name wherever possible, so these tricks are now called Typhoon tricks. " 台風 "

Kendama Typhoons - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Tips:
Don't start the typhoon until the string has gone slack.
Keep watching the ball until you have caught it again, then look at the ken.
(Both rather obvious, perhaps, but they're only obvious if they occur to you!)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

BatDancer

I feel honoured, and slightly proud, to have played my own small part in this... :)

MisterJumpshoe

Typhoon tricks are great.  I already did one on my fifth edit: Typhoon jumping stick.

Mr Jumpshoe:Kendama Edit V - juggling videos hosted @ Juggling.tv

Going to try some other now, I think.
Music Has the Right to Children

Adam K

This was probably the coolest way possible to "invent" a whole new class of tricks.

MasterKatra42

I hate to be cliche and go with the king of kendama, but Colin Sander has a typhoon UFO in edit 7.  Quite crazy.

The Void

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming to have invented them, I'm just documenting (and naming) them. The thread and video are just to see where we all can take the idea.

Oh, and, ..... Hey Joe! Welcome to the forum! :-)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Thorny

I'm glad you've given these tricks a name, Void! I've dabbled in Typhoon tricks, but I've never actually landed one haha.
I think I'm going to do much more with these from now on!

shalafi

Well, I think they look hard but not beautiful. While whirliwinds look nice but not hard (although they are)

Ok, you can Typhoonize anything with a "dama" grip so you've made aeroplane and lighthouse. You ask for more in the video, so:

- Falling down -> Thyphoon twice
- Jumping stick -> Thyphoon twice
- Moon Landing

And the one I really want to see:

- Flip Lighthouse thyphoon

That last one will be awesome.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

When I said "So what other tricks can you Typhoon?" in the video, the emphasis was meant to be on the YOU. :)

Oh well, I guess these ones are a pretty nice challenge for someone! (Maybe me, if I find the time, but I'm not practising them without filming too, in case I get lucky! :) )