News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Wood or Plastic?

Started by Dr_Chow, 19 January, 2015, 20:22:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr_Chow

Do any of you think that a plastic kendama any good? I am starting a business, and I am choosing between plastic and wood. There are pros and cons to both, and so I was just wondering what you guys thought.

The Void

Aesthetically, wood wins for me every time.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

daniel.patten.73

As a standard "go-to," I'll always grab a light-weight and reasonably durable hardwood.

shalafi

Actually for aesthetics, plastic (or 3D printed) kendamas have some appeal for being different. I mean, because they are rare and special, but again, so are some special woods.

Overall, for playability wood always wins for me.

As a curiosity, plastic kendamas are interesting from the collector point of view. For having only one kendama or an everyday kendama, I'd always go for wood.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

Tsurushi

Wooden kendamas all the way, be it for casual jams or competition (in fact, only wooden kendamas are allowed for competition and grading, so picking plastic would be tantamount to staying away from competitive play).

the milky oolong

I have only played with one plastic kendama, which was Thorkild's light-up ken which he brought to Berlin for a show. Just not my thing in terms of feel. I'm sure there's a market for them out there, though, and the manufacture possibilities are sure to be very different. Do you play Kendama much, [user]Dr_Chow[/user]? Do you think plastic kens are any good?
Kendama Berlin
German Kendama Open 2014: 1st Place Speed Trick, 2nd Place Knockout
German Kendama Championships 2015: 3rd Place Speed Trick
KEN FEST Hannover, 2016: 3rd Place KEN Battle
KENDAMA CLASH Berlin 2016: 1st Place Intermediate