News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Sara or Ken grip? [Was: I need help with a question]

Started by Leologic777, 02 February, 2015, 16:12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Leologic777

So, ok here is my story. I started Kendama 7 months ago and have always gone with a variation of the sara grip. Index and thumb around the ken and the other three fingers around the sarado. I am just learning to spike from a cup with my "grip". Should i change to the ken grip? I cant do as much stuff i can do with the ken grip compared to the my grip so it would just be like starting over. What should i do?  I really like my grip its that you cant do any pull up tricks. I am ready for this because i am already practicing with the ken grip if you guys think i should change.

Thanks,

Getting Better!- 11 Kendama's- Been playing for 9 months

Leologic777

sorry im a noob im in the wrong thread sorry guys  :( ill try to delete my post

BKA

Hi Leo,
Welcome to the forum. (We moved your post for you - no problem!)

Our advice would be to learn to use both (the usual) sara grip as well as the ken grip. Yes, right now it may feel like starting over, but you're still quite new to kendama, and learning to be at home with both grips will benefit you in the end - giving you access to a much wider range of tricks. It will feel a little awkward for you at first, but stick with it! After a little while (a couple of weeks, say?), you'll be getting used to your new grips , and be learning new tricks you never thought you could do before. Go for it!

(And let us know how you get on.)

PS We modified your thread title too, to help in case other people are searching for the same advice.

Leologic777

Thank you very much! thanks for the advice i will try to continue with both and let you know. Sorry for the thread i wrote this reslly quickly because i had to leave my house at the time. Thank you and i will try!