News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Video Challenge: Endless Combo (everybody can enter)

Started by Cliffdama, 18 April, 2013, 11:09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

The Void

Chatroom talk:
QuoteCliffdama: Wow the insta ufo is hard! Upward movement, change to tama grip and in the same motion trowing to ufo... Holy f! I did come to trowing the ufo only way to hard :p. Nice one @void!
The Void: :-)
Cliffdama:   Can you land it void?
I tried it a few times last night, when I thought of setting it. Didn't get it, but felt like it was doable, with a little time. Yes, I was pushing too hard as well. (Sounds like that could be a tip for you all, folks.) I'm pretty sure I've seen this done on video, but can't remember who... it feels like something [user]Roddama[/user] or [user]MattDeCoteau[/user] might have done...
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

Dimensions

[user]SamB[/user] did a really clean version of this at 1:04 with some slo-mo after

[Mod Edit: Thread for Sam's video: http://www.kendama.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1076.0.html ]
Shameless Self-Promotion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

The Void

Ah, that was where I saw it. Thanks Dimensions. Yep, that's what you've gotta do, folks.
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

The Void

I got it tonight... but it was a bit diagonal, so...

Horizontal UFOs please! Or, close anyway. :)

Cliffdama

Just watched the video, i'm doing it a bit different , i keep my fingers  on top of the ken and my thumb under. Is that allowed?

mreasyguy

I think I got it but working on redo-ing it if this is not acceptable.

I'm just unsure as the tama moves a bit on the spike on the initial throw upwards.

here it is anyways:

The Void

[user]Cliffdama[/user], yes, that's okay, that's how I do UFOs too.
[user]mreasyguy[/user], hmmmmmmmm... I'm going to have to download that and watch it frame by frame....

The Void

Oooooh, interesting....

Right then, I really did have to look at it frame by frame, and this is what I see:

#1 Grip transition in progress... Fine.
#2 Hmmm, that's really close to being off the spike... Like 1 pixel close... Benefit of the doubt.
#3 Ball being grabbed and started to be pushed forwards.... Ken doesn't seem to have moved yet, but... still benefit of the doubt.
#4 Ball has definitely started on its forward path, but the ken doesn't seem to have started to move yet, as I would have expected.... Getting more doubtful.
#5 Ball has pushed further on, but only now does the ken start to move..... Conclusion: You inadvertently started the UFO spin with your hand, not with the ball push.

So sorry, but on balance I'm just going to have to fail that. :(

BUT, you can clearly do it! Tomorrow lunchtime?

The race is still on, folks!

mreasyguy

I did have my doubts with it as I said. I thought I got the tip of the spike but I can clearly see it was my hand, the whole action is just so fast you don't seem to notice things like that unless frame by frame.
Will retry tomorrow briefly, got very busy in work so lunch breaks get shorter.

The Void

Cliffdama

Ok one more thing to know, i just wachted the video and i still do something a bit different, i start with an almost horizontal postion of the ken instead of trowing it up from vertical position... Still allowed? I'm almost back home and give it a try again. I know i can land this!

mreasyguy

Ok I'm pretty sure this one is better. I have looked at it frame by frame best I can and I'm happy with it. If it's still bad there is always tomorrow  :)

The Void

Terrible!

....lighting, but the trick is good. What's #49?

I'll be editing the next compilation.... on Sunday? Can we get to 50 by then?

Kendama+cliniK

Kendama+cliniK

mreasyguy

Yeah I'm sorry about the lighting, just wanted to get it done after my first attempt!

Right next trick, I picked this because I love the look of it.

so next trick is: Inverted reverse jumping stick (correct name?)

So your holding the tama, bring the ken and tama up vertically and flick forward with the tama to make a reverse jumping stick, catch like a stunt plane.

If you can film this from a side on view just so it's easier to judge!