News:

English-language friendly kendama forum open for everyone worldwide. Welcome!

Main Menu

Speed Trick B

Started by SamB, 10 September, 2011, 20:42:29

Previous topic - Next topic

shalafi

I am between phase 2 and 3 of azleonhart. Some days I try to do it without misses, some days I try to squeeze it under 2 minutes.
Spanish Kendama Champion 2010, 2012, 2014-16
Depth Perception is Overrated.

The Void

Quote from: azleonhart on 16 March, 2015, 08:15:59(Stray) observations:
- This may be the most overlooked aspect, but string length is of utmost importance. Gotta get it ideal. e.g. Too long a string can add 1 or 2 secs to the pull-up candlestick, or even earth turn.
I think you are overestimating, by a large margin. And anyway, whatever you have decided is your optimum string length for general play is probably the best length for STB too.
- String tension is also crucial. Tangled string can punish you anywhere between 2-7 seconds.
True, but... Obvious? Don't start with a twisted string.
Quote- The more time your tama / ken is spent in the air, the more time you'll lose.
True.
Quote- For Around Japan / World / Europe, i highly recommend starting from the small cup. The progression is more natural (in a circle), thus faster.
True
Quote- Transitioning between tricks is an art, it seems. At places where your playing hand switches between the tama and ken, especially after the 1st and 7th trick, time can be lost fiddling with strings, ken, etc. Experiment the fastest ways to transition out.
Yes!
Quote- Just before the tama touches the sarado (during a spike), i quickly "bounce" the tama out to gain some microseconds.
Hmmm. Well, "just after", not "just before". Maybe. Or "have the other hand ready to remove the tama instantly" - that's what I see the top Japanese players doing.
Quote- The same can also be done with the last trick. It's basically a lighthouse insta-spike kinda thing.
Well, there's a huge trade-off between speed and control there. I'd rather take 1-2 seconds to get a controlled drop, rather than making a wild one and hoping it's good, and that I don't have to start from the LH again.

Ultimately, I think azleonhart has taken the approach of "considering the factors of each individual element of STB", which is the smart thing to do. There are fractions of seconds to be saved in many places. Think about ALL of your movements.

Plus "try not to miss". :)
If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

shalafi

With my current skill level, I find much more efficient to take each trick calmly and go for "try not to miss" than trying to speed up.

Specially with the falling down and the bird, I am not comfortable with the insta style. It makes sense when trying to save seconds, but if you do it calmly, you can get it under 1:45 if there are few misses.

Transitions, instead, is a place where I am already saving seconds. They are independent of the trick per-se.

azleonhart

Here's Kubota Tamotsu's STB i recorded during his time in Malaysia.
Just one take needed. ONE TAKE!

Even with the extra Around Japan, he still nails it within 30s.
What the trick?

The Void

If you don't want to BUY MY BOOKS 😉, then why not ask your local library to order them in, and read them for free? That would help too. Cheers!

azleonhart

Quote from: The Void on 18 April, 2015, 11:48:25
Solid! :)

@The Void still in Tokyo? It's sad that i won't get to meet you at KWC.
What the trick?

The Void

My fastest run on video. (Possibly my fastest ever - but I may have done 35 or 34 - I can't quite remember).

http://juggling.tv/15355 ← Please go to JTV for HD/download

shalafi

Nice one @The Void anything under 40 is impressive.

The Void

Had a quick blast at #speedtrickb tonight. About 38s. Not my fastest, but pretty good with all this rust everywhere.